Nikon D70 to be upgraded to an 8MP Nilkon D70S

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 30, 2005 4:04:01 AM

"carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 2cd6b$70b$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
>
> http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=209...
>
> Carrigman

according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see ANY
difference to the d70...

sid
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 4:04:02 AM

"sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
> "carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2cd6b$70b$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> > Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
> >
> > http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=209...
> >
> > Carrigman
>
> according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see ANY
> difference to the d70...

That page has no specs on it. Where are the specs you are talking about?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:53:25 AM

"sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote:

> "carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2cd6b$70b$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
>> Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
>>
>> http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=209...
>>
>> Carrigman
>
> according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see
> ANY difference to the d70...
>
> sid

Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.
March 30, 2005 5:53:26 AM

Bubbabob wrote:

> Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

USB2?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:53:26 AM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote:
>
>> "carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 2cd6b$70b$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
>>> Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
>>>
>>> http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=209...
>>>
>>> Carrigman
>>
>> according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see
>> ANY difference to the d70...
>>
>> sid
>>

> Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

I would say many people would be happy just to get a hole to screw a shutter
release cable into, a 100 ISO, a mirror lockup and an optional vertical grip
(from Nikon). The camera has been a huge success for Nikon, and I'm not so
sure another 2 megapixels will make or break it. It they do go to 8, I can
see them keeping the camera in the line, assuming they can come up with a
price spread between the old and new camera to keep it alive. As usual,
just MHO.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 6:39:51 AM

No. USB Full Speed.

In other words, USB1.1 under a new name

"paul" <paul@not.net> wrote in message
> Bubbabob wrote:
>>
>> Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.
>

> USB2?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:44:10 AM

paul <paul@not.net> wrote:

> Bubbabob wrote:
>>
>> Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.
>

> USB2?

Unchanged. It's still not high-speed USB 2.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:58:16 AM

In article <srSdnbXSP7sTjNffRVn-pw@comcast.com>, Sheldon
<sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

> The camera has been a huge success for Nikon, and I'm not so
> sure another 2 megapixels will make or break it.

More pixels is not what the D70 needs. I'd be more interested in a
"D100s."
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:53:55 PM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
> > "carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 2cd6b$70b$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> > > Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
> > >
> > > http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=209...
> > >
> > > Carrigman
> >
> > according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see ANY
> > difference to the d70...
> >

> That page has no specs on it. Where are the specs you are talking about?

page 201-205 of the d70s user manual
sid
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:20:42 PM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message

> "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> > "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote:
> >
> >> "carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 2cd6b$70b$1@reader01.news.esat.net...

> >> according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see
> >> ANY difference to the d70...
> >>
> >> sid
> >>

> > Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.
>
> I would say many people would be happy just to get a hole to screw a
shutter
> release cable into, a 100 ISO, a mirror lockup and an optional vertical
grip
> (from Nikon). The camera has been a huge success for Nikon, and I'm not
so
> sure another 2 megapixels will make or break it. It they do go to 8, I
can
> see them keeping the camera in the line, assuming they can come up with a
> price spread between the old and new camera to keep it alive. As usual,
> just MHO.

d70s: no iso 100, no mirror lock up as far as i can tell, no 8mp, dont know
about vertical grip.

check http://tinyurl.com/576ra - youll find the specs only here...

sid
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:24:47 PM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
> > "carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 2cd6b$70b$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> > > Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
> > >
> > > http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=209...
> > >
> > > Carrigman
> >
> > according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see ANY
> > difference to the d70...
> >

> That page has no specs on it. Where are the specs you are talking about?

check http://tinyurl.com/576ra - youll find the specs-only version here...
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:05:56 PM

I put links to the D50 and D70 manuals up on my web site, at
"http://digitalslrinfo.com" and have added them to the table.

"http://www.conneti.com/d50_usermanual.pdf"
"http://www.conneti.com/d70s_usermanual.pdf"

Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
lack of a vertical grip.

Steve
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:58:25 PM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message

> Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

Where did you see that there is connection for a remote cable? I didn't see
that in the spec.

There is a company that has been retrofitting the D70 with a connection for
a remote cable, the same company that's making the after-market grip, see:
http://www.harbortronics.com/VGD70.asp
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:52:39 PM

scharf.steven@gmail.com writes:

> I put links to the D50 and D70 manuals up on my web site, at
> "http://digitalslrinfo.com" and have added them to the table.
>
> "http://www.conneti.com/d50_usermanual.pdf"
> "http://www.conneti.com/d70s_usermanual.pdf"
>
> Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
> just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
> areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
> lack of a vertical grip.

Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
that now.
March 30, 2005 10:58:43 PM

On 2005/3/30 6:05 PM, "scharf.steven@gmail.com" <scharf.steven@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
> just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
> areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
> lack of a vertical grip.

How do you determine "major complaint areas"?

I agree on the need for ISO 100. While I don't have particular need for a
vertical grip, I can understand why it might be desirable.

But my D70 already has a mirror lockup function. It is on the main menu and
I have used it while cleaning dust off the sensor.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:12:34 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:58:43 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Bob Haar
<bobhaar@comcast.net> wrote:

>But my D70 already has a mirror lockup function. It is on the main menu and
>I have used it while cleaning dust off the sensor.

No, the feature missing is the ability to take a photo with the mirror
locked up, eliminating the effect of vibration due to mirror motion on the
photo.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
March 31, 2005 1:07:57 PM

philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:

> In article <m2zmwkiqlk.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>>Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
>>"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
>>mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
>>that now.
>
> Except for the Nikkormat.
>
> Personally, I think that (with a few exceptions) the self-timer works just
> as well to reduce vibrations.

Doesn't let you time your shot as precisely, though. That might be
okay for relatively static landscapes, but even there what the wind is
doing matters, and where the clouds fall relative to other things
matters.

And it doesn't let you mount lenses with big rear extensions, either.
March 31, 2005 1:08:23 PM

Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>
>>Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
>>"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
>>mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
>>that now.
>
> My FE2 can do it. Was it "professional"?

Are you talking about actual lockup, or just the pre-flip when you use
the self-timer?
March 31, 2005 1:45:55 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:58:43 -0500, Bob Haar <bobhaar@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 2005/3/30 6:05 PM, "scharf.steven@gmail.com" <scharf.steven@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>> Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
>> just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
>> areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
>> lack of a vertical grip.
>
>How do you determine "major complaint areas"?
>
>I agree on the need for ISO 100. While I don't have particular need for a
>vertical grip, I can understand why it might be desirable.

I'm in the opposite: I would like mirror lockup and a vertical grip.
No need for ISO 100 as long as the 200 is very good.

Very simple: A D100 with D70 electronics.

>But my D70 already has a mirror lockup function. It is on the main menu and
>I have used it while cleaning dust off the sensor.

That's just for sensor cleaning. See other post.

-espen
--
All generalisering er farlig
http://www.seland.org/

In article <m2zmwkiqlk.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
>"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
>mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
>that now.

Except for the Nikkormat.

Personally, I think that (with a few exceptions) the self-timer works just
as well to reduce vibrations.

March 31, 2005 3:23:11 PM

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:

>Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
>"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
>mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
>that now.

My FE2 can do it. Was it "professional"?

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:01:25 PM

In article <BXSD5LF$F8SCFwDu@objectech.co.uk>,
Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:
>David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>
>>Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
>>"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
>>mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
>>that now.
>
>My FE2 can do it. Was it "professional"?

My FE2 doesn't have mirror lockup. How do you lockup the mirror on your
FE2? How do you mount one of those early fisheyes the require mirror lockup?

March 31, 2005 8:24:00 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:34:20 -0700, "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net>
wrote:

> a hole to screw a shutter release cable into

What's the big deal about this? There's an IR remote. If you're close enough to
use a cable then you're close enough to reach over the camera to use the IR.

Maybe an additional sensor on the rear would be a better idea

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:24:01 PM

Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:34:20 -0700, "Sheldon"
> <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>
>> a hole to screw a shutter release cable into
>
> What's the big deal about this? There's an IR remote. If you're close
> enough to use a cable then you're close enough to reach over the
> camera to use the IR.
>
> Maybe an additional sensor on the rear would be a better idea

You dont even need to reach over, mine fires from the top

Mick Brown
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:38:31 PM

Philip Homburg <philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl> wrote:

>Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:
>>My FE2 can do it. Was it "professional"?

>My FE2 doesn't have mirror lockup. How do you lockup the mirror on your
>FE2? How do you mount one of those early fisheyes the require mirror lockup?

Ah yes, now that I think about it, I suppose I used the self-timer
since the mirror flips up when the release is triggered but doesn't
return until the shutter fires. Not really mirror lockup for
mounting other lenses, but it does get rid of the mirror bounce
problem for long shutter times.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

In article <m2br8z6egi.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:
>
>> In article <m2zmwkiqlk.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
>> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>>>Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
>>>"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
>>>mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
>>>that now.
>>
>> Except for the Nikkormat.
>>
>> Personally, I think that (with a few exceptions) the self-timer works just
>> as well to reduce vibrations.
>
>Doesn't let you time your shot as precisely, though. That might be
>okay for relatively static landscapes, but even there what the wind is
>doing matters, and where the clouds fall relative to other things
>matters.

True. But in my experience it is rare that things are static enough that
a relative long shutter time can be used yet change fast enough that the
self-timer cannot be used.

>And it doesn't let you mount lenses with big rear extensions, either.

Given the prices of film SLR bodies, you can probably pick up a body for
less then you would have to pay for one of those lenses.

I think that Nikon lists those lenses as incompatible with all dSLRs, even
the professional ones.

March 31, 2005 11:13:50 PM

philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:
> True. But in my experience it is rare that things are static enough that
> a relative long shutter time can be used yet change fast enough that the
> self-timer cannot be used.

I think some people used to use MLU for sports shooting, in order to
lower the shutter lag (get rid of the mirror flip delay), precisely
because things were changing too fast to even want to wait for the
mirror, much less the self-timer. They used an accessory "sports
finder" that clipped onto or replaced the normal prism finder. There
were also cameras like the EOS-1RS that had a fixed (half-silvered)
mirror, also intended to improve sports shooting by getting rid of
the mirror flip delay.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:11:13 AM

In article <7xekdvveh8.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
>philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:
>> True. But in my experience it is rare that things are static enough that
>> a relative long shutter time can be used yet change fast enough that the
>> self-timer cannot be used.
>
>I think some people used to use MLU for sports shooting, in order to
>lower the shutter lag (get rid of the mirror flip delay), precisely
>because things were changing too fast to even want to wait for the
>mirror, much less the self-timer. They used an accessory "sports
>finder" that clipped onto or replaced the normal prism finder.

I sort of doubt that would work very well on modern cameras. With the
mirror locked up, there is no auto-focus. Lots of sports photography is
done using tele lenses. You would need special magnifying finders
to get framing right, etc.

>There
>were also cameras like the EOS-1RS that had a fixed (half-silvered)
>mirror, also intended to improve sports shooting by getting rid of
>the mirror flip delay.

Are you sure that the fixed mirror was not there to achieve higher
motor drive speeds?