Can cold temps hurt a PC?

arsenal553

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Hi guys,

Last night it got very cold outside and the windows were left open by mistake. I turned on my PC to find that everything was very cold. Can this hurt a motherboard due to thermal expansion?

34eucec.jpg

Solution
The boards are made in a way to be resistant to this kind of thing, I know its not like a car, you don't have to 'warm' a pc up, generally the colder the temps the better the performance you can get out of it and as cold as it could get outside is not going to hurt the computer, I would worry about condensation before that. People have used dry ice to cool a pc down for overclocking so i doubt a 30 degree night would hurt it, but if im wrong, please correct me as this is purely speculation from my own point of view.

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
The boards are made in a way to be resistant to this kind of thing, I know its not like a car, you don't have to 'warm' a pc up, generally the colder the temps the better the performance you can get out of it and as cold as it could get outside is not going to hurt the computer, I would worry about condensation before that. People have used dry ice to cool a pc down for overclocking so i doubt a 30 degree night would hurt it, but if im wrong, please correct me as this is purely speculation from my own point of view.

Solution