Workstation vs. desktop video cards

kdlklm

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
what are the main differences between workstation and desktop video cards. I know that desktop video cards are usually designed for gaming and workstation video cards are more for CAD software.

I play the odd game and watched the odd movie on my computer. But I also do a little work with Autodesk inventor.

What would you suggest for a video card that meets both needs.

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
They are essentially the same card with modifications to suit their purpose.
It's like you take wheels off a car and put on tracks to make it a snow mobile. They are generally more expensive than desktop Vid cards coz few of them are sold, and the cost of designing and engineering the cards had to be distributed to each card, They are not worth it if you aren't gonna do major work with them. I would just stick with a solid card like a Radeon 6950/6870/6850/GTX 570,etc.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Probably the biggest difference between workstation cards and desktop cards are the drivers. Workstation cards have drivers that are of higher quality and are highly optimized for workstation programs. Workstation cards also often have better warranties and Nvidia and AMD offer a greater level of tech support in terms of bug fixes for the drivers.

Unfortunately workstation cards are quite a bit more expensive, and also don't offer as much performance per dollar as desktop cards. Since it doesn't sound like you will be doing extensive work with inventor you may just want to get a desktop card and use the money you saved on a better CPU.

Back in the day you could hack the cards / drivers and turn one into the other. Workstation cards generally have higher quality control, optimized drivers, longer warrantees and better support.

I'd get a desktop nVidia card ..... ATI desktop cards don't do well in 2D drafting (tho better now w/ improved drivers) and of course don't have CUDA.

The majority of desktop cards don't have CUDA unlocked (wud kinda cut down on the more expensive Quadro card sales) which you can take care of by unlocking yourself.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

kdlklm

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
will a PCI express 2.1 card work in a motherboard that only supports PCI express 2.0

I have a Asus P8Z68 DELUXE and I'm looking at getting a ASUS Radeon HD 6950