G

Hi,

first of all sorry for my "german" english, I hope I'll find the right words to describe the problem.
I have an Asus A7V, it provides an Ultra ATA 100 IDE connector (primary and secondary) and a standard IDE connector (again primary/secondary). I connected the IBM U/DMA 100 HD (set to master) to the primary Ultra ATA
100 IDE connector and the CDROM (also set to master) to the secondary standard IDE connector.
Now everytime I boot the PC, Win98 sells me "system settings changed, reboot". If I say no to the reboot, in control panel/system I find a conflict for the disk controllers.
Enabled is VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller and the two other listed "primary IDE controller" and "secondary IDE controller" are deactivated.
So my CDROM is not recognised. If I jump to the secondary IDE controller in control panel/system, it tells me reboot is necessary. I confirm this, it restarts only Windows and everything is fine, CDROM is recognized.
It's fine to the next complete PC start, then the same procedure is necessary again. Well, not realy fine, because some problem with the CDROM DO appear. E.g. the CD copy protection verification in all games doesn't work. All games tell me "Please insert the correct CD", although it's correctly in as can be seen in Windows Explorer.

Now the questions :
1. During boot, I see text from the Ultra DMA BIOS, detecting my HD and saying "IDE Bus Master enabled". Do I have to disable the latter. If so, where ? In the normal BIOS I don't find a single entry related to IDE or
BUS Master. How do I get access to the Ultra DMA BIOS ?
2. Do I have to chain the CDROM differently ? Not seperately on the second standard IDE controller, but in chain with the HD (and set the CDROM to slave ??).
3. In System settings, the VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller shows Interrupts 14 and 15. The standard IDE controllers show Interrupts 14 (primary) and 15 (secondary), so an interrupt conflict is obvious.
However, I'm not able to change any of these interrupts (Message IRQ can't be changed).

What's wrong ? I hope it didn't sound too confusing.

Greetings from the Black Forest in Germany
Michael

G

What version of the bios are you running. heard that there were some problems in that area. Try to get the latest (1004d?).

Learning has begun.

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
put the cd-rom on the primary master (ata-66 controller)
and hdd primary master on the ata-100 controller
set the bios to load onboard ata-100 first
and load the via 4-1 drivers that came with the motherboard cd, you can also load the promise-100 drivers that came on the mo bo cd,
after each load you DO need to reboot
anything not understood let me know

Bored,Certified Tech

G

I agree...put those devices on separate channels, and get to the asus.de ftp site. Download the latest promise build 33, via4in1 425, and bios 1005a. Once everything is there, go to the bios and start telling it what is where, and what to load off first. If there are still any problems check all your jumpers on the devices, or post again with whats happening. Alles klar?

PEACE

DESIGN TEAM.

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Raistlin, i think he said he did have them on seperate channels, HD as primary master and CD as secondary master. The mobo doesnt actually have one ATA100 and one ATA66 controler does it..? And if it does (which would be terribly friggin odd) how could he tell the diff..?
Besides, ATA100 HDs are backward compatible, they should work fine on 66, or even 33 (OK not exactly fine, slower, but they should work)

I have hard of such problems with the A7V mobo, being a P2BF owner and advocate, ive been reading these blasts with dismay, although grudging acceptance. I have heard that the BIOS upgrade solved many issues. Lackmus, look for a guy who posts here called: gorenc (you can send him a private message i suppose). He went thru similar probs and has written alot about the A7V, mostly bashing it <G> but last i heard he got the newest bios version and was finally a bit happier...even afer he went and got an Abit to replace it.

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PS: if that board really does have 2 diff ATA controllers, does it have 2 seperate controller chips as well..? Hell if this really wacked setup is true, then hehe thats what ill prob blame on half the problems ive been hearing about this board. I used to love Asus, but after hearing about all the issues with the A7V, and after seeing the frankensteins theyve stated will be theyre DDR boards, ive been less and less impressed with Asus lately.

Rama <---he who still loves his P2BF..till i get a DDR board...in 6 months or a year hehehe

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It has 2 seperate controllers 1 primary ata-100
1secondary ata-100
1primary ata-66
1secondary ata-66
each of these can have a master and slave
www.asus.com.tw look up the mb.
I have one of these myself i had some problems
but they are all fixed and its workin great

Bored,Certified Tech

just read your second note
it basically has an onboard promise ide card that
can be disabled and it doesnt cause"all the problems"
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Raistlin on 12/19/00 11:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>