My cpu makes a high buzz noise when temp gets over 50c

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
fx6100 no OC
16GB 1600
60GB SSD agility3
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

when i'm using prime 95 the computer's speaker make a high buzz pitch noise. i'm just trying to test the stability of my PC any idea how to get the noise off? there isnt anything wrong with the pc. no freeze, bsod etc.

Hmmm well - I can't say for certain what it is - but I can tell you what it might be.

I read somewhere before about some motherboards that give off a high pitch buzz noise - which apparently comes from some capacitors on the motherboard which supply your CPU and other devices with electricity. I forgot what exactly it's called though.

Do you know if the noise comes from your Motherboard, or power supply? That would help a lot.

By the way - what is your power supply?

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
the problem was never existed before this new mobo and cpu. the rest of the computer has been the same since my old build.
if i disconnect the little computer speaker, then the sound goes away.
i assume it is a mobo bios or some sort, but not sure exactly which part

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This does not sound like coil whine. That is usually in the PSU or GPU. It could simply be an issue with the piezo speaker (the little speaker) itself. Swap that out to see if it helps.

Is it safe to assume that everything else works well? How are your system temps when the system is under load?

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008

i am curtain that it is not my PSU since i've been using it for quite a while since my old build while it was running prime 95 as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171032

the sound came from the system speaker that i plugged in to the mobo.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008

according to coretemp, while web surfing, i'm at sub 20C, never exceeded mid 40C in game. however, i'm trying to do stress test with prime95, so the processor actually reach 50C but never exceed it. At ~49 the little mobo speak keep making the buzz sound on and off. the sound is off when it goes below ~49 and constantly on when it reach ~49 or higher.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008

yeah, i've had that problem before too. but this time is not it. thanks for all your idea. i need more!

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
How loud is the buzz? It could be a BIOS temperature warning. Check to see if you have the CPU Warning Temperature enabled in the BIOS:

CPU Warning Temperature Sets the warning threshold for CPU temperature. When CPU temperature exceeds the threshold,
BIOS will emit warning sound. Options are: Disabled (default), 60oC/140oF, 70oC/158oF, 80oC/176oF,
90oC/194oF.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008

coretemp said my CPU temp is 50C and never gotten any higher even when i run prime95 for half hour. i would have keep it running, but he sound was too annoying, so i made it stop.

high buzzing noise can occure from badly fitted hsf. symptoms include increase of noise to temp...
if its a whistling noise its likely to be a cap/voltage module thats close to the cpu.
if it sounds like an earth buz.. ie low tone. then cheat the pcu placement and make sure you have no tim or hairs blocking the cpu pin sockets.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Food for thought, but possibly EMI? That could cause the speaker to buzz... Maybe reseat the motherboard and components and make sure all the standoffs and screws are in place... unlikely but worth a shot.

G

If anything, just unplug the bios speaker. It is not required unless you are troubleshooting anyway.

Or try what digitalzom-b suggested