Nvidia compatable with ATI?

lawrenpx

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hello,

I apparently need two graphics cards to support 3x30" displays, as read in this forum.

I now have Nvidia Quadro 6000 but this will only run 2x30" displays.

I've heard all I need is a low end card to get the third 30" display running but do I have to get Nvidia or can I use ATI, a proposed solution by co-workers?

Please feel free to sugget Nvidia or ATI solutions.

Thanks

You'll have to use two nvidia cards to get the three displays to work. ATI and nvidia cards cannot be used together (aside from the hack to use an nvidia card for PhysX with an ATI card)

Alternatively you could look at an ATI card, most of them do support three monitors on a single card, though you need Display Port capable monitors or display port adapters to pull off three monitors.

Incorrect, it is possible to run an Nvidia card and an ATi card if all you are doing is running monitors. Eyefinity or Surround Vision require the same cards but the OP probably isn't going to do that as they are using a Quadro card.

@ OP, what OS are you using?

lawrenpx

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Interesting that I can mix Nvidia Quatro 6000 and ATI. Does running a lower priced ATI or Nvidia graphic card interfer with the high end power of the Nvidia Quatro 6000? I'm not sure if I can convince my company into buying another Quatro 6000, costing around $4000.

Isn't it easier and less trouble, e.g. setting things up on my workstation, to stick with Nvidia?

In either case, regardless if I can use a less expensive card to get the third display working, are there any particular Nvidia and ATI cards you could recommend?

thanks

lawrenpx

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

my OS is Linux Redhat, a fairly current version.

thanks

lawrenpx

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

all three displays will be worked as one big screen where i would be dragging view or application windows across multiple displays.

what would happen if my viewing window, showing huge data sets loaded into RAM (64GB) in 3D, bridges half way across a high end graphics card and a low or lower end one. would one half look good and the other lousy?

thanks

Check in a Linux forum before considering purchasing an AMD card. Linux may or may not be able to run both AMD and nVidia drivers at the same time. The safest bet would be another nVidia card.

You also need to find out if your motherboard has one or two PCI-e slots. If your only have one slot, then your Nvidia Quadro 6000 will be using it. In that case you need to purchase a video card using the older PCI slot.