E6800 to Q6600 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

droidboy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello,
I am thinking of upgrading the E6300 processor in my Dell Dimension 9200 motherboard with the P965 Express Chipset and LGA775 socket. I am running Vista Home Premium OS. Other than physically installing the Q6600 in LGA775 with proper heatsink gel, what other things do I have to do?

Thank you,

Droidboy

Solution
all you have to do is swap out the processor, clean off the old thermal paste, the put on some new paste. It really is that simple.

What is it that you are trying to do? I tried upgrading my C2D to a C2Q in order to better do video editing, but found that it made a minimal difference (because the issue was the RAM being used, the project alone needed 12GB of ram, not to mention all the other programs I often have open, and to have more ram required a platform upgrade). Moving up to a C2Q will make some things a little quicker, but it is not going to be a night and day difference like it would be to upgrade to an i5 or PIIx4 or 6. I would not pay retail for a C2Q either, they are super expensive compared to the performance added...
all you have to do is swap out the processor, clean off the old thermal paste, the put on some new paste. It really is that simple.

What is it that you are trying to do? I tried upgrading my C2D to a C2Q in order to better do video editing, but found that it made a minimal difference (because the issue was the RAM being used, the project alone needed 12GB of ram, not to mention all the other programs I often have open, and to have more ram required a platform upgrade). Moving up to a C2Q will make some things a little quicker, but it is not going to be a night and day difference like it would be to upgrade to an i5 or PIIx4 or 6. I would not pay retail for a C2Q either, they are super expensive compared to the performance added, but if you find one for $50 somewhere it may be worth the upgrade.

Solution

droidboy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

CaedenV, Thanks for the info. What I am trying to do is to upgrade my Dimension 9200 to hopefully run games better.
As mentioned in the thread, I will upgrade the processor from the E6300 to the Q6600. Further, I will upgrade to 2G memory, 550 Watt power supply and change the graphics card to the XFX Radeon 4770. This should beef up the system substantially. What do you think?

Droidboy

For some apps that can use more than two cores and with the higher stock clock you will notice a nice bump in performance. Even in apps that only use one core there will still be a notice improvement. Just be sure to clean up any dust and you are done.

droidboy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Christian,

Thanks for your comments. I can not afford a high-end machine, therefore i want to use the Dimension 9200 XPS410 only for gaming and hope it will be sufficient.

The upgrade consists of a Q6600 CPU, XFX Radeon 4700, 4G memory and FSP600 80PSA ATX Power Supply. The investment is $280 for all vs 2 to 3 thousand for a high-end machine.

Droidboy

Status
Not open for further replies.