MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 and adding RAM

gmross

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Alright,
Here's the problem.

I have a MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 motherboard which supports up to 16GB of RAM. Specifically I have G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 RAM cards. When I plug in two cards the system boots up perfectly. No problem whatsoever.
However, as soon as I try to add the third and/or fourth card the computer stops working. Actually, it seems to work. As far as I can tell most of the parts boot up. But my monitor displays nothing. I am not sure the OS even boots. I hear and see no indication that it is setting up. I am hoping it's a setting I can adjust in the BIOS and not a defect in my motherboard. Hopefully this is enough information.

Thank you for your help folks.

I am not sure if this is relevant or not but I am using the ATI 100-505606 FirePro V4800 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card. And I am running Windows 7 Professional.
As far as I can tell those are not the problem. I think it is the motherboard. I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Secondary side note. I have a smaller issue. It's not instrumental to the running of my system but I would be nice to fix the problem.
I have two Samsung SH-S222A Optical drives on my system. Unfortunately I can only use one. When I plug in just one drive into the motherboard it works fine. If I try to plug in a second one neither work. I switched the cables and still nothing.

I appreciate the help on either subject.

mschuh00

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I have the exact same problem in Windows 8 Pro. Everything is running fine with 2x2GB in first two slots, but when I add 2x2GB of the same memory in the last two slots, I get black screen. It is GSkill RipJaw memory F3-10666CL8D. All four sticks are the same. No other issues.