CPU and Motherboard Combination

endymi0n

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I'm pretty new to all of this, so please bear with me.

For my computer, I was originally planning on getting the i5 2500 CPU with an H67 motherboard (ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM). I am not planning on doing any overclocking, but I was looking to take advantage of the Intel HD 2000 graphics. I'm not really a heavy gamer, so I thought HD 2000 would be good enough and if it wasn't doing it for me I could always add a discrete GPU later.

My problem came when I was starting to price components and saw that I could get the 2500k and a Z68 motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-Z68M-D2H) for about the same price. Thus I'd have the option to overclock (highly unlikely I actually will) and have access to HD 3000 graphics.

The way I see it, I can:
A) Stick to my original plan, 2500 with H67
B) Get the 2500k and Z68 board (for the same price as A)
C) Get the 2500 and Z68 board (for the cheapest overall price)

My thought on B is that I'll get 3000 graphics for the price of 2000, but I'll be leaving the overclocking capabilities untouched (if I was going to overclock, this wouldn't even be a question). Also I don't know how much better 3000 is than 2000, but it sounds like if I was going to use a separate GPU instead of the 2000, I'd probably get it for the 3000 also. For my purposes, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between A and B.

Option C is the cheapest, but it seems a waste to use the Z68 with a non-K CPU. I also don't know if there are any other drawbacks to doing this (more expensive board = better board?).

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Any advice or insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks!