Can I power on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard without a CPU?

yasharki

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I have just received an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard from NewEgg. However my CPU is not going to arrive until next week. The first thing I noticed was that one of the legs holding west facing MOSFET heatsink was missing. Fortunately it was right there in the anti static bag, with the spring, so I was able to resit the heatsink. This made me think that my package was handled way too roughly and I decided to try out the mobo before I got the CPU.

I connected my PSU (ATXPWR1, and ATX12V1), couple chassis fans, and all the case leds/switches. Powered on the PSU, and pressed the power button on the case, nothing happened. Pressed it on the mobo itself, nothing happened. No beeps, no "dr debug" codes, no fans spinning up, nothing at all. I tried the same PSU in another case with another mobo it works, tried a different PSU with this mobo, same thing - appears dead.

I guess my question is: Is my motherboard supposed to show any signs of life without the CPU installed? Is what I'm seeing normal?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Is my motherboard supposed to show any signs of life without the CPU installed? Is what I'm seeing normal?

Yes, what you're seeing is normal - no signs of life without a cpu.

yasharki

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Well, I guess it's not entirely dead :) Just connected the ethernet port to my router and both ends light up. So the NIC is powered on therefore the mobo is presumably alive, just needs a CPU. Ok, that makes me feel much warmer and fuzzier. Thanks for taking your time to reply though!