GTS 450 1gb ddr5 or GTS 450 2gb ddr3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brotoss

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Building a pc for my girlfriend who doesn’t really game but wants to LAN with us once in a while.

i5 2400
2x2gb ddr3
intel deer flat p67
23” LED HD monitor

The GTS 450 1gb ddr5 and GTS 450 2gb ddr3 cost about the same so I was wondering which one to get? I know higher is better but I don’t know if the size or speed means more.

Solution
You want the 1gb card. The ddr3 is slower, and the thing is, you don't use the 2gb up until high resolution, but the thing is the ddr3 is slower, and the card is an entry level card and may not be able to take advantage of all that vram anyway. IE the ddr3 card is probably more of a marketing gimmick. I've got the GTS 450 myself, the 1 gb and it does fine on my 22 inch. I might suggest though, save a little more, and pick up a GTX 460 for not much more. Much faster card for only a little more $$.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
You want the 1gb card. The ddr3 is slower, and the thing is, you don't use the 2gb up until high resolution, but the thing is the ddr3 is slower, and the card is an entry level card and may not be able to take advantage of all that vram anyway. IE the ddr3 card is probably more of a marketing gimmick. I've got the GTS 450 myself, the 1 gb and it does fine on my 22 inch. I might suggest though, save a little more, and pick up a GTX 460 for not much more. Much faster card for only a little more $$.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS