Sockets- This will determine my new CPU brand

discopotato

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
How long will the AM3+ socket be produced? How about Socket 1155? How much longer will processors be produced on these sockets?

Thanks in advance.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
AMD has long supported their sockets for quite a few years before a new socket is released.

This is good if you plan on upgrading incrementally over the years with new CPU's or other components as you won't need to continuously buy new motherboards.

I came from a Socket AM3 after 3 years to an Intel 1155 and sadly it is extremely unlikely they will release anything faster than the i7 2700k on this socket although don't quote me on that, I haven't done my research.. :\

curtains

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
This gets asked time and time again, my best advice is that the computer you buy now should outlast the socket, so you shouldn't plan on upgrading, if you need to upgrade that soon, you should just save up and buy what you plan on upgrading, else its a waste of money for little gains.

Sockets gets replaced ever like 2-4 years, your computer should last a good 5 years.

Socket 1155 is coming up on it's last leg. The final CPU series for will be the 3rd generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs called Ivy Bridge coming either late Q1 2012 or early Q2 2012. Intel's Haswell will be coming out in 2013 and it will be socket 1150.

AMD has recently changed their strategy and will no longer compete directly with Intel in the CPU market. I believe their next CPU core, Piledriver, will their final AM3+ CPU. They need to cut costs and diversify their product line up to remain a viable business. Therefore, I think they will focus on APUs for the consumer market which means socket FMx.

Based on performance expectations, Piledriver will compete with the 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. As I stated Intel is going to release it's 3rd generation next year.