Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cingular ever going to provide "Push-to-Talk"?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:13:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
June 9, 2005 4:13:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?

PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
communications. It's not as if people on cell phones can't already be
obnoxious they can now do it twice as loud. It should still the
objections of people who complain about cell phones because they can't
evesdrop on both sides of the conversation though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 6:08:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:11:36 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
>>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
>
>PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
>communications. It's not as if people on cell phones can't already be
>obnoxious they can now do it twice as loud. It should still the
>objections of people who complain about cell phones because they can't
>evesdrop on both sides of the conversation though.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Right, and no one seems to realize that you can use the PTT without
the speaker blasting (and beeping). It works just fine without the
spearkerphone.

That said, I do miss the PTT part of Nextel. I don't miss the lack of
coverage and dropped calls.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 6:51:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <6gcga1l5f237o5e3nd9fbs5npltf24689p@4ax.com>, prc2u@wi.rr.com
says...
> I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
> radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
>
If they do let's hope they disable the speakerphone function - there is
nothing more irritating than a Nextel user forcing the entire room to
listen to BOTH sides of his conversation.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 7:18:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Joseph wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
>>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
>
> PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
> communications.

While these opinions are noted, does anyone have factual information on
whether Cingular is planning a PTT offering?

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 10:40:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d1213724c8673169898af@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <6gcga1l5f237o5e3nd9fbs5npltf24689p@4ax.com>, prc2u@wi.rr.com
> says...
> > I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
> > radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
> >
> If they do let's hope they disable the speakerphone function - there is
> nothing more irritating than a Nextel user forcing the entire room to
> listen to BOTH sides of his conversation.
> --

Yes there is- a Cingular customer forcing the entire room to listen to THEIR
side of the conversation.

There is no requirement to use speakerphone with PTT.
June 9, 2005 11:07:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

It sure sounds like it:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=652854


"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
news:11ah5fdobd8kr80@corp.supernews.com...
> Joseph wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
>>>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
>>
>> PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
>> communications.
>
> While these opinions are noted, does anyone have factual information on
> whether Cingular is planning a PTT offering?
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:36:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
news:11ah5fdobd8kr80@corp.supernews.com...
> Joseph wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
>>>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
>>
>> PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
>> communications.
>
> While these opinions are noted, does anyone have factual information on
> whether Cingular is planning a PTT offering?
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Several months ago I visited a Cingular office in north Dallas and there
were signs posted outside and in the hallways directing people to a "PTT
Test." Who knows whether it was successful? They are definitely exploring
the possibility.

Bob in Dallas
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:27:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Yes, they will be rolling out PTT over GPRS. Expect the latencies to be
high at first as they were (are?) with Verizon when they first rolled
it out. Sprint also offers it under the "Ready Link" service. If you
want low latency & high reliability but no frills phones, go with
Nextel. My guess cingular will offer something similar to the V400p.

Personally, I don't think PTT is worth the extra cost providers charge
unless you are getting a group-connect feature like Nextel offers. All
of the major providers offer free mobile to mobile, so there is no
penalty in phoning the other person vs. a walkie talkie call. Just my
opinion.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:00:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d1213724c8673169898af@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> In article <6gcga1l5f237o5e3nd9fbs5npltf24689p@4ax.com>, prc2u@wi.rr.com
> says...
>> I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
>> radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
>>
> If they do let's hope they disable the speakerphone function - there is
> nothing more irritating than a Nextel user forcing the entire room to
> listen to BOTH sides of his conversation.
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA

LOL- sounds like talking to Donald Duck.
!