Cingular ever going to provide "Push-to-Talk"?

I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
9 answers Last reply
More about cingular provide push talk

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:

    >I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    >radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?

    PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
    communications. It's not as if people on cell phones can't already be
    obnoxious they can now do it twice as loud. It should still the
    objections of people who complain about cell phones because they can't
    evesdrop on both sides of the conversation though.

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:11:36 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    >>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
    >
    >PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
    >communications. It's not as if people on cell phones can't already be
    >obnoxious they can now do it twice as loud. It should still the
    >objections of people who complain about cell phones because they can't
    >evesdrop on both sides of the conversation though.
    >
    >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Right, and no one seems to realize that you can use the PTT without
    the speaker blasting (and beeping). It works just fine without the
    spearkerphone.

    That said, I do miss the PTT part of Nextel. I don't miss the lack of
    coverage and dropped calls.

    In article <6gcga1l5f237o5e3nd9fbs5npltf24689p@4ax.com>, prc2u@wi.rr.com
    says...
    > I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    > radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?

    If they do let's hope they disable the speakerphone function - there is
    nothing more irritating than a Nextel user forcing the entire room to
    listen to BOTH sides of his conversation.
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    Joseph wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    >>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
    >
    > PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
    > communications.

    While these opinions are noted, does anyone have factual information on
    whether Cingular is planning a PTT offering?

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    "Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    > In article <6gcga1l5f237o5e3nd9fbs5npltf24689p@4ax.com>, prc2u@wi.rr.com
    > says...
    > > I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    > > radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
    > >
    > If they do let's hope they disable the speakerphone function - there is
    > nothing more irritating than a Nextel user forcing the entire room to
    > listen to BOTH sides of his conversation.
    > --

    Yes there is- a Cingular customer forcing the entire room to listen to THEIR
    side of the conversation.

    There is no requirement to use speakerphone with PTT.

    It sure sounds like it:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=652854

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    > Joseph wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    >>>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
    >>
    >> PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
    >> communications.
    >
    > While these opinions are noted, does anyone have factual information on
    > whether Cingular is planning a PTT offering?
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    > Joseph wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:13:14 GMT, prc2u <prc2u@wi.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    >>>radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
    >>
    >> PTT has to be the most annoying feature ever devised for mobile
    >> communications.
    >
    > While these opinions are noted, does anyone have factual information on
    > whether Cingular is planning a PTT offering?
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

    Several months ago I visited a Cingular office in north Dallas and there
    were signs posted outside and in the hallways directing people to a "PTT
    Test." Who knows whether it was successful? They are definitely exploring
    the possibility.

    Bob in Dallas

    Yes, they will be rolling out PTT over GPRS. Expect the latencies to be
    high at first as they were (are?) with Verizon when they first rolled
    it out. Sprint also offers it under the "Ready Link" service. If you
    want low latency & high reliability but no frills phones, go with
    Nextel. My guess cingular will offer something similar to the V400p.

    Personally, I don't think PTT is worth the extra cost providers charge
    unless you are getting a group-connect feature like Nextel offers. All
    of the major providers offer free mobile to mobile, so there is no
    penalty in phoning the other person vs. a walkie talkie call. Just my
    opinion.

    "Jud Hardcastle" <I5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.com> wrote in message
    > In article <6gcga1l5f237o5e3nd9fbs5npltf24689p@4ax.com>, prc2u@wi.rr.com
    > says...
    >> I am thinking of switching to nextel or verizon because ot the two-way
    >> radio feature. Is Cingular ever going to have this?
    >>
    > If they do let's hope they disable the speakerphone function - there is
    > nothing more irritating than a Nextel user forcing the entire room to
    > listen to BOTH sides of his conversation.
    > --
    > Jud
    > Dallas TX USA

    LOL- sounds like talking to Donald Duck.

Cingular Nextel Verizon Internet Service Providers