RAM running at 1333 instead of 1600

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hi, my CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB RAM is running at 1333 instead of 1600. What should i do to fix this? This is on my first build by the way:

This is my build:

Asus p8z77-v pro
i5 3570k
GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB
NZXT Phantom Full Tower (I think the case fans are connected to the PSU since the Motherboard doesn't detect them)
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Asus DVD Drive
Corsair 850W Gold PSU

I have everything on Stock.

Solution
I hate to say this, but it begs the question. Are you sure that it's a 1600 kit? With that being the X.M.P. setting, it would almost have to be a 1866 kit (not necessarily a bad thing, if you thought you bought a 1600 kit).

Anyway, DRAM Timing Control is in the Ai Tweaker area, listed as just that (although your BIOS has the timings listed as "DRAM CAS# Latency" (should be 9), "DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay" (should be 9), "DRAM RAS# Pre Time" (should be 9), and "DRAM RAS# ACT Time" (should be 24).

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

I tried X.M.P. and now the memory is at 1866. How do i do it manually?

Hmm. That's strange. If it's a 1600 kit, the only X.M.P. profile that it should have should be 1600 (as far as I know). Is it X.M.P. Profile #1?

Regardless, to set things manually, you need to set the speed to 1600 and set the timings to 9-9-9-24. The timings are in DRAM Timing Control.

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

Hi, sorry i can't find the timings section. I found the memory frequency and set it to 1600 but i can't find the other stuff like CL. By the way, i checked it out, and the X.M.P. only has one profile listed:

Profile #1: X.M.P. DDR3-1867 9-10-9-27-2N-1.50v

Is it supposed to be like that? Is it a mistake? :heink:

And thanks for all the help so far!

I hate to say this, but it begs the question. Are you sure that it's a 1600 kit? With that being the X.M.P. setting, it would almost have to be a 1866 kit (not necessarily a bad thing, if you thought you bought a 1600 kit).

Anyway, DRAM Timing Control is in the Ai Tweaker area, listed as just that (although your BIOS has the timings listed as "DRAM CAS# Latency" (should be 9), "DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay" (should be 9), "DRAM RAS# Pre Time" (should be 9), and "DRAM RAS# ACT Time" (should be 24).

Solution

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

According to this CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB RAM it is.

Also sorry to bother you, but last time i was in the bios i saw things like Primary, secondary etc in the Timings section. Am i supposed to edit each one or just the first one? Sorry for being such an idiot at this stuff :( .

You're not bothering me. That's what I'm here for. :)

But yeah, just change the Primary timings and don't worry about the Secondary.

It may very well be that you have an 1866 kit, regardless of what you thought you bought (or even what the packaging says), though. I've never seen X.M.P. Profile #1 not be what the kit was rated for.

It's no problem, man and you're welcome. :)