Partitioning win 7 oem to nstall 7 Ultimate for seperate tower

CaptZ

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I have two towers right now, one is a gateway and the other is a custom tower but using the same processor & drives. For now I would like to have them be able to share the same hdd but have only one partition side work on it's corresponding tower, which does not violate the MS lisc.

The win 7 on the gateway is of course an oem version that can not be transfered.

I purchased 7 U Full retail V. and would like to know the best method for doing this? I searched but couldn't findexactly what I needed too know.

Thanks

CaptZ

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
This drive will not come out of my HAF tower until I sell the OEM tower.

I posted this on the windows live forum & a moderator said it is pretty straight forward. Partition it, swap drive to new tower, load the OS, drivers & done. It will automaticaly asign that partition to that system as C:\ because thee OEM version won't be recognized @ boot up unless it is in that tower. All I can do is give it a try.

You are contradicting yourself...

"This drive will not come out of my HAF tower until I sell the OEM tower. "

"Partition it, swap drive to new tower, load the OS, drivers & done."

So, like I said in my first post, you will need to swap the drive back and forth. The drive loader I linked to above is just to make transferring the drive back and forth easier so you don't always have to pop open the cases.

Not sure I understand what you are wanting to do here ! --- but it sounds like you just do not want to buy a HDD for the new system but want to keep the OEM version in case you decide to later put it back in the OEM system to sell (but will not be using it until then since you will be removing the CPU and Drives from it for the new system) -- If that is correct and you purchased a new copy of WIN7 retail for the new system -- then the best thing to do would be make a ghost image of the current HDD partition (as a restore image) then format the partition and install the drive to the new system and install win 7 Ult for the new system -- the advantage of doing this is that when HDD prices drop again you just buy a cheap HDD for the old system and use the ghost image to restore the old system onto the old system for sale without having to remove the HDD from the new system. (just look for a used HDD for sale cheap or wait until the prices return to normal) --- though really if you could afford to buy a copy of win7 Ult for the new system I do not see why you couldn't just buy a new HDD as well to avoid the hassle.

For example this 120GB recertified HDD for $20 would be well worth the investment to install to the old system and move the current OEM version over to it as the new system drive and then format the current drive and move it to the new system and install Win7 Ult retail to it --- that way you avoid any hassles of having to keep the current OEM partition for swapping back to the old system !!

daship

Distinguished
Buy a new drive for new tower, game over. You need the drive in the old one to sell it because it wont be worth anything wothout a hard drive.

You do realize if someone buys your old tower with no drive, they have to buy one and they are expensive? Why would somoeone buy a used tower and then want to drop another $100 on it? Might as well buy a new one with warranty and monitor for $300.

I think he is wanting to use his current HDD in the new system since HDD prices have gotten ridiculous right now and then purchase one later once prices come down but does not want to lose the OEM install -- but that reallyis more of a hassle than it is worth when he could purchase a cheap HDD swap the OEM install to it for the old system and then use the exisiting HDD in the new system without keeping the OEM version for around $20 (example of $20 HDD linked in previous post)

CaptZ

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
You guys are all corect...

The hd is now in the oem tower, it wil go into my new tower as soon as I partion it when the OS shows up tomorrow. After that, it may come out, it may not. I wil certainly give the option of different drives to interested people. The drive is the easy part considering I have to swap the CPU also... Which I have done a few times already. (checking out the new board bios, funtionality & what not) My intentions were to retain the OS until I figure out the destiny of this hd. It is a nice wd 1tb 64mb cache caviar black, only 3gbs, but thats all I need... but worth hanging on to

I was unsure exactly how to go about swapping the whole oem os onto a different drive. I already have a disk image. I did that before I started tearing into it... Just in case. So if anyone would like to educate me on that I am all ears!

My main question was regarding the proper proceedure & whether or not it would assign each individual OS partition as C:\ or if I had to change drive lettering or paths.

As I stated, Windows live stated it should assign the drives...

daship
If I was dealing with only a new $300 system combo, rest assured I wouldn't be bothering me or u over it. I know of no new i7 machines for only $300... If you do please let me know...