ARchamps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hello Everyone!

I'm pretty excited about my first build and I have done some research for the past few weeks. I'm fairly knowledgeable, but still learning!

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 - 2 months. Still saving up :p
Budget Range: $700 - $800 CAD
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Moderate Gaming, Music Production (Cubase Software), Media (videos and music), Surfing
Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, OS, Monitor
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca -- but prefer local stores for pickup (CanadaComputers.com & Tigerdirect.ca)
Country of Origin: Canada
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU
Overclocking: Maybe..
SLI or Crossfire:Likely not
Monitor Resolution:1600x1200

Here is what I have chosen so far. Please comment on my choices so far! I'm missing a MB and RAM. See my comments below.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Mid-Tower Computer Case - ATX, mATX - $59.99 - Link
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Unlocked Processor - $229.99 - Link
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme 550 Watt Power Supply - 58.99 - Link
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB - $189.99 - Link
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA3 6.0Gb/s 1000GB (1TB) 32MB Cache - $54.99 - Link

I'm a little lost in terms of picking a motherboard. I understand that a P67 will allow overclocking, but I'm likely not going to be doing any of that. The P67 is generally more expensive than H67. What would match my setup so far and is between $80 - $115 range? I picked the PSU from Best Buy because I have a $50 gift card I could use :D . Also, what RAM would suit my needs? 8GB would be ideal but I think I could live with 4GB. RAM is cheap so I think 8GB would be best.

Thank you in advance!

ervinelim

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2011/06/09/h67-p67-and-z68-which-one-is-right-for-you/

Hey! Get the H67 if you don't plan on overclocking. Get 4gb now and buy some later when you need it. Still, 8gb is king for now. Your choice, I'm on 2gb and i have no problems :). Anyway, if you're sure you're not going to overclock. Get the i5-2500 version which is cheaper by 10 dollars ^_^. All in all it's good. Oh crap not Cooler master! Get antec or corsair for a psu. coolermaster is just too risky for now.

For your motherboard, Get this. It's personal preference since you're not going to do anything with it. Asrock has been my go to brand for builds :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157233

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Your right about the RAM - The price difference between 4-8GB is fairly low.

2x4GB sticks of 1600MHz RAM (G.Skill or Vengeance is a common choice) would be your best option.

HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 is generally considered a better HDD than the SeaGate Barracuda. Although if you can get the Barracuda noticeably cheaper, theres no real reason not to go for one. I use one personally in my build and am very pleased with it.

PSU - As the above said, CoolerMaster are generally avoided other than their silent pro range. Recommended brands include; XFX, Corsair, Enermax, Antec, SeaSonic.

Also, id stick with the 2500k processor, and go for a P67 or Z68 motherboard. Although your not likely to be overclocking, it really is incredibly easy now. Most motherboards come with built in overclocking software that you literally just click "overclock my CPU" and it will overclock to a stable level without causing any damage leaving you with 20-30%+ better performance.

ARchamps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

@ervinelim - That link clears it up. Thanks! That MB you suggested doesn't have the option for the onboard USB for the case does it? I'm thinking I may go with the P67 since I plan on using this computer for the forseeable future.

@AdrianPerry - I will look into the HDD. What PSU would match my setup so far?

Also, what do you guys think about the case and GPU? I think the case is good and the reviews are great. I will likely add an LED fan to the front to make it look cool.

Thanks again for the replies.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Case is fine, PSU is not.

500w is enough for a single GTX 560Ti, 750w if you want to SLI.

Recommended PSU brands include; Corsair, XFX, Antec, SeaSonic, Enermax.

Modular is recommended.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Pretty good choices, however:

The motherboard you have selected is only good for a single card (it doesn't support SLI or Crossfire, so just be aware of that. Its no problem for a single graphics card, but if you had plans to SLI in the future it wont work.

The Graphics card you have selected, EVGA, great brand but its not the "Ti" version of the card, there's quite a big difference in performance between them (what kind of budget are you on for a GPU)?

PSU - 650w is a little high for a single 560, 500w would be plenty so you could save a little money here. I think the Corsair Builder Series 500w on NewEgg is about $60

ARchamps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Wahoo!! I finally ordered my computer! Here is what I ended up going with:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $51.19
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - $209.69
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ - $25.30
MB: ASUS P8P67 B3 REV 3.0 - $154.99 (Before Rebate of $15)
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series DDR3 1600MHz (1.25V) - $54.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM - $59.99
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W - $92.39
GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti - $249.99 (Before Rebate of $20)
DVD Drive: LG DVD Writer - $19.99

Total: $961.99 (After Taxes, Rebates, and use of a $50 BestBuy card)

Thank you all for your advice. It really helped! I'll post some pics when I get them :)