I am buying a Hauppauge 2250 tuner card. I have a digital cable box from
Serivce Electric Cable TV in Pa. I also have the cable in another room near
the Pc (no cable box here). Am I going to be able to get channels like USA
TNT, and Syfy either in the room with the digital box or in the room with
the cable from the wall.
Thanks for any help
a b x TV
July 5, 2011 10:56:47 PM

That's going to depend on Service Electric Cable TV. I the room without the set top box, you'll only get those channels they send unencrypted. In the room with the set top box and the output from the set top box going to the input of the TV Tuner card, you'll get all the channels you subscribe to (but you'll have to use the set top box as the tuner since it does all the decryption).

-Wolf sends
m
l
July 6, 2011 8:44:11 PM

Wolfshadw said:
That's going to depend on Service Electric Cable TV. I the room without the set top box, you'll only get those channels they send unencrypted. In the room with the set top box and the output from the set top box going to the input of the TV Tuner card, you'll get all the channels you subscribe to (but you'll have to use the set top box as the tuner since it does all the decryption).

-Wolf sends

Thanks for your reply. So how do I know what channels are encrypted by my cable provider? Call them? Or do I buy the tuner card, hook it up and see what I get. Then hope for a good return policy
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b x TV
July 6, 2011 10:22:57 PM

Connect your TV directly to the cable from the wall, taking the set top box out of the equation, and let your TV scan for channels. Whatever channels it picks up (clearly) are unencrypted.

-Wolf sends
July 20, 2011 8:55:23 PM

Best answer selected by notcher.
m
l
!