Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ivy bridge and z68.

Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2011 2:31:54 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to build another pc so I want to buy a new z68-pcie 3.0 (asrock gen3, msi g3, asus) motherboard, but I'm not going to unbox the motherboard until I've bought a new ivy bridge processor, so my question is this: are the new "z68 gen 3" motherboards completely ready to install the new ivy bridge? I mean, just unboxing the mobo, installing the hypothetical sandy bridge processor, memory, power supply, etc, and it'll be ready to run windows?

Please excuse my poor English. thanks!

More about : ivy bridge z68

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 6:25:34 AM

It should work since Ivy Bridge will be socket compatible with Sandy Bridge, but I'm guessing you may need a BIOS update. This is speculation though.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 6:46:42 AM

It will most probably work, but I don't see why you'd want to do that. Rather save the $$ and spend it if you can find the motherboard you want on special somewhere, or buy everything at once. Remember that the warranty of the board starts expiring the second you pay the $$, and if the board is just lying there for two or three months that warranty is practically wasted.

Also, ensure you're buying 1600MHz RAM when buying, as IB will support the frequency due to it's 1600MHz FSB speed. Nice! :) 
Score
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 7:11:35 AM

SpanG said:
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to build another pc so I want to buy a new z68-pcie 3.0 (asrock gen3, msi g3, asus) motherboard, but I'm not going to unbox the motherboard until I've bought a new ivy bridge processor, so my question is this: are the new "z68 gen 3" motherboards completely ready to install the new ivy bridge? I mean, just unboxing the mobo, installing the hypothetical sandy bridge processor, memory, power supply, etc, and it'll be ready to run windows?

if you're going to use the motherboard with an ivb cpu, why not wait and get a z77/z75/h77 motherboard when the new chipsets come out. the new chipsets will have native support for ivb. with z68 + ivb you will lose rumored thunderbolt support, usb 3.0 stuff like that.
with z68 + ivb you might be able to use most of the cpu-specific features with a bios upgrade - e.g. dx 11, 16 pcie 3.0 lanes (as long as the mobo supports it), quick sync 2, new igpu etc.
wait for ivb cpus and z7x, h7x motherboards to be available and benchmarked.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 7:30:35 AM

de5_Roy said:
you will lose rumored thunderbolt support, usb 3.0 stuff like that.

I'm guessing you mean PCI-E 3.0, right? USB 3.0 has been on the market for quite some time now... :p 
Score
a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 7:44:42 AM

no i meant usb 3.0. i read that z7x and h7x pch would natively support usb 3.0. right now motherboards with intel chipsets use a 3rd party usb controller like eatron's or asmedia's.
i guess one won't actually lose usb 3.0 support. i meant that native usb 3.0 support from the pch instead of a 3rd party chip. addition of a 3rd party chip will only bring even more expandability. the more the merrier. :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 9:31:32 AM

For a best deal (price), buy it later, when you´re ready for the other components.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 9:47:37 AM

de5_Roy said:
no i meant usb 3.0. i read that z7x and h7x pch would natively support usb 3.0. right now motherboards with intel chipsets use a 3rd party usb controller like eatron's or asmedia's.
i guess one won't actually lose usb 3.0 support. i meant that native usb 3.0 support from the pch instead of a 3rd party chip. addition of a 3rd party chip will only bring even more expandability. the more the merrier. :) 

Ahh! Got you now!

I was just wondering "What's is this guy on about, USB 3.0 is in use by even X5x chipsets, why would he not get it on SNB?" but I was simply not fully reading your reply. My bad. :p 
Score

Best solution

a c 82 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 9:50:22 AM

SpanG said:
Hello everyone,

Very bad idea, pending mantural (I was going to correct it, but it actually works) disasters mobo's will get cheaper, and the warranty issue. The new 77 boards should also push the 68 boards down in price as people try to shift stock, so either way you'll get a better deal.
December 6, 2011 7:18:15 PM

Best answer selected by SpanG.
Score
!