Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 new system won\'t post or bring up video

mr-guy

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I built a system around the GA X79-ud5 motherboard. G.Skill ram (16g), i73930 cpu, silverstone 1200 watt PS, Asus HD7970 directcuII video card, Seagate Barracuda 3tb, Samsung SSD, Lite-on Blu-ray, Noctua CPU Cooler.

I have not added speakers and wanted to get the thing up so I could set bios. It doesn't make a sound to indicate it is posting so I am not sure if the CPU is but it gets warm. The monitor searches then sleeps after looking at the ports (DVI) if I remove the cord it warns me so it SEES the card I think. The card is in the first PCI slot (tried the other one too) and it gets both a red and green light indicating it has power and both fans are running. I have pulled the ram and reseated it too. Pulled the GPU out countless times already. I have been reading that this motherboard has some issues. Is this one of them or should I return the GPU?

Thank you in advance!

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
So I'm guessing you checked all the connections such as 8-pin CPU connector, main 24-pin ATX, and 2 of the 6+2 PCI connectors. Did you check to make sure you have your front panel connected correctly?

Fosters

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
If you checked the Connections and it still wont post it's got to be something with the CPU or Ram .

Check the CPU for a Bad Pin if it is not a CPU Pin Try posting with one Stick at a time with the Ram .

mr-guy

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

I sure did...to the point of obsession. I think it is either the MB or bad ram, I am sending back the GPU and getting something different that doesn't take up so much room. I also am sending the MB back to have Gigabyte look at it. I hope that does it. This is the first time I have had a problem with a system like this.

Thank you for the suggestions!

mr-guy

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

I looked at the CPU and it appears that there are no bent pins...and I tried the Ram trick since I have 4 modules of 4 gig each...my gut tells me it's the MB for some reason though, but the obvious would be ram. I will post the cause when I find it though!

mr-guy

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Okay, long story short...it turns out this motherboard and some high end GPU's have an issue with the way the bios is setup at first on the PCI buss, it needs to be set at "legacy", not EFI. I had sent back the motherboard and the GPU and recently bought a new Geforce GTX 780 and when the system was all put together I got the gigabyte screen where you have the option to enter the bios etc, except that it looked like the keyboard wasn't working that it stayed on that screen. I got a single post beep. Contacted Giga and he told me it is the video card, do I have another card...got a cheap card for $40 and was able to get into the bios and change the PCI setting, saved and was finally able to get into the system with the 780. So some guy at Tiger Direct said I had a bad motherboard...be careful what people tell you folks. Giga told me right from the start it was the video card, not that it was faulty but that the bios needs a different setting to get into it. This might be the same thing for other cards too like those from AMD.

thecaptain2000

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hi, I am having the same problem I am told the matherboard is incompatible with "recent" cards I believe they mean UEFI Cards. Can you tell me if your Motherboard revision is 1.0 or 1.1? mine is 1.0. If yours is too, can you tell me if you did anything else besides setting the bios to Legacy?
Thanks in advance
Renato

jisifu

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

So I registered to say that this was the right answer to the problem. I didn't post with a R9 290X but when I popped in a GTX 580 laying around. It post and got into Windows. I'll try the legacy setup with the R9 290X and I'll update to let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for taking one for the team, mr_guy!