Here are the components

MSI p67a-gd65 motherboard
intel i7 2600k
evga gtx 560 ti video card
ultra 750 watt atx psu
seagate 1tb hdd
corsair vengance 4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram X2

windows 7 pro 64x

sorry if i listed anything in a weird fashion first time ever posting about hardware

here is my problem:
I built this computer at the start of July, so 2 months ago. It could run any game i could try on it very well. for example GTA IV at high settings at about 65 fps, arma II at 40-60 fps at highest settings any more highend game from the last few years at the top settings with more than 60 fps. so anyways, i bought red orchestra 2, and the beta ran at about 40-50 fps constant on ultra settings. then about 2 days later (9/2-9/3) the same settings the game ran at 17-40 fps, huge fluctuations but mainly hovering at about 27-31 fps. so i thought maybe an update in the game messed something up, so i ran gta iv on the same settings that got me 65 fps before, now i barely get 29 fps avg.
so thinking it was driver issues i installed the latest video card drivers
nothing changed, so i suspected some windows error maybe the last update or some virus so i reinstalled the OS.
the red orchestra 2 beta still has huge fluctuations in fps from 17-40. and it still hovers around 27 for the most part.
i only noticed one thing, the CPU some of the time, not always, seems to be about 10% busy with interrupts

and too add to the mystery today when i tried booting into safe mode the boot failed, the computer shutdown and came back on maybe 10 secs later with one strange change the POST beeps seem different, there is a first beep, then two later beeps which always came on since i built the computer seem delayed by a good few seconds. (i found out the two later beeps are from the BIOS detecting usb devices)

my question: what could have caused this sudden performance drop? what hardware maybe broken to cause something like this and how could it have just broken by it's self two months after the build?

thank you
September 6, 2011 5:41:46 AM

It's most likely a virus :o 
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:42:58 AM

I reinstalled the OS and reformatted the HD so i doubt it.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 5:44:25 AM

Wow, that's weird. I never had this problem with such new hardware. I hope the others can help you out.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2011 5:54:55 AM

I would think its a software problem rather than hardware .

Download and run ubuntu linux [as a live cd maybe] and see if the cpu fluctuations are occurring
That will confirm hardware or software

Also seen a couple of cases recently of a bad firefox update causing similar symptoms . If you use ff uninstall and download the latest version
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:57:46 AM

Outlander_04 said:

Download and run ubuntu linux [as a live cd maybe] and see if the cpu fluctuations are occurring

He just reformat the computer though :( .
m
l
September 6, 2011 5:59:41 AM

ervinelim said:
He just reformat the computer though :( .

he also reinstalled all the games which may have screwed up DX 11 , or a dll
m
l
September 6, 2011 6:06:59 AM

Outlander_04 said:

Also seen a couple of cases recently of a bad firefox update causing similar symptoms . If you use ff uninstall and download the latest version

I just reinstalled the OS, and installed the latest version of firefox along with it and the problem persists so i dont think it was that unless that was not fixed yet in firefox.

There is only one game installed at the moment that is the ro2 beta, and the only DX version is what came with that game. and it is behaving exactly the same way as before the reformat.
m
l
September 6, 2011 6:24:58 AM

doesnt that tell you the beta has a problem , and the solution is to reformat again and NOT INSTALL it ?
m
l
September 6, 2011 6:51:36 AM

Outlander_04 said:
doesnt that tell you the beta has a problem , and the solution is to reformat again and NOT INSTALL it ?

I do not understand how that is related, the problem started two days after the beta was installed, I had a good fps on the same build of the beta as I had bad fps. Nothing changed in the software between that.
m
l
September 6, 2011 7:41:55 AM

It does sound like a software issue, but you seemed to have eliminated that possibility. Not sure exactly what would cause this... I would try to catalog EVERYTHING you did in the 2 days before it all started. Did you change FPS software? Make any changes to BIOS? Add any new components? I don't know exactly how GFX cards really work, but the only hardware issue that makes sense to me is that the card isn't getting enough power, and that's a stretch. The card says it requires a 12v+ @30A, if you have a multi-rail then it may not meet the req's (if I'm understanding multi-rail technology correctly in that 1 rail typically powers PCI-e). Maybe the card switched PCI-e modes? i.e.:x16 to x8, etc.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2011 9:42:25 AM

Outlander is right. Until the Firefox question is answered it will be very difficult to approach the problem with any certainty. Also XP 64 bit or otherwise is not going to lever the best out of that system you have there. Try running Win 7 to see the difference. You may want to try Chrome instead of Firefox. Very quick and very stable.
m
l
September 7, 2011 5:11:21 AM

mahdhatre said:
It does sound like a software issue, but you seemed to have eliminated that possibility. Not sure exactly what would cause this... I would try to catalog EVERYTHING you did in the 2 days before it all started. Did you change FPS software? Make any changes to BIOS? Add any new components? I don't know exactly how GFX cards really work, but the only hardware issue that makes sense to me is that the card isn't getting enough power, and that's a stretch. The card says it requires a 12v+ @30A, if you have a multi-rail then it may not meet the req's (if I'm understanding multi-rail technology correctly in that 1 rail typically powers PCI-e). Maybe the card switched PCI-e modes? i.e.:x16 to x8, etc.

I had to move the CPU fan power cable because it kept getting into the fan. The computer was unplugged when i did it, but maybe i somehow damaged the video card (no clue how though) is there any way to diagnose a video card problem fairly positively, ruling out things like CPU and mobo? I unfortunately do not have another computer capable of running that card (the card is a power hog)

@Wamphryi I am running windows 7 64, I will try uninstalling firefox and running chrome and see if that makes any difference, though that will have to wait till tomorow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2011 5:29:08 AM

Good grief for some reason I read that as XP 64. :-|
m
l
September 7, 2011 5:41:06 AM

Okay i found some time to uninstall firefox, run ccleaner etc to get rid of any traces of it.

I remembered i ran furmark3d benchmark on the machine after the problem started and before i reformatted. I got an avg of 22 fps with no options on, max 31 min 19. I just ran the same test after getting rid of firefox, same results.

So the problem seems to persist.

The temperatures of the GPU are in the safe limits, the max it got was 74C on both tests.
and during the test there is a high pitched chirping coming from the video card, it did the same thing before the reformat.

So firefox is gone and nothing changed, the ro2 beta seems to run a lot worse barely getting to 30 fps, but it is a different build from the one when i initially noticed the problem so i think it is inadmissible.
m
l
September 7, 2011 6:26:01 AM

It is a BETA . Likely that there are bugs

have you tried reformatting and NOT installing the beta?
m
l
September 8, 2011 5:05:39 AM

Outlander_04 said:
It is a BETA . Likely that there are bugs

have you tried reformatting and NOT installing the beta?

That is the next thing i am going to try then, if the furmark3d benchmark comes up with only a 22 avg fps on a clean install then i guess software will be eliminated as the cause right?
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:17:47 AM

I hve never been a fan of benchmarking or stress testing software .

Just reinstall windows ,and any other game
m
l
September 10, 2011 5:29:52 AM

Outlander_04 said:
I hve never been a fan of benchmarking or stress testing software .

Just reinstall windows ,and any other game

That is exactly what i have done just now, reinstall windows, install all updates, latest drivers, GTA IV and Chrome so I dont have firefox which has problems. GTA IV has the same performance as it did since the trouble started, 31 fps while before this whole thing it got 65 fps and ran smooth as silk now it jumps about a lot.

I think this does eliminate software as the issue, so what piece of hardware could be causing it?
m
l
September 11, 2011 5:37:55 AM

Have you tried updating the BIOS? There are 11 updates in the last year (A LOT) for your mobo. If not, that seems like a good place to start.
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:58:24 PM

mahdhatre said:
Have you tried updating the BIOS? There are 11 updates in the last year (A LOT) for your mobo. If not, that seems like a good place to start.

I have been afraid of that, i heard some horror stories of BIOS updates, and why would that just randomly show up all of a sudden (unless the BIOS is fried or something) because everything worked fine on the BIOS I have now.

Is there any way of making sure this succeeds? I dont want to make it worse with a botched BIOS update.
m
l
September 12, 2011 10:15:15 PM

"why would that just randomly show up all of a sudden" - good question. What I do know is: if it positively is not a software problem (OS, drivers, etc.), it is either mobo, gfx card, or psu. Would make sense to me is to try and eliminate each possibility 1 at a time. For the mobo, updating the BIOS is the only thing you can do short of RMA'ing the board. As far as the update process goes, if you make sure there is no chance of the PC losing power and are updating to a compatible BIOS, everything SHOULD go fine. Create a copy of the BIOS (or download your current version) so you can restore it if it doesn't work correctly.
m
l
January 17, 2012 3:19:11 AM

hey everyone, dead post i know... but i'm having the same issues. just wondering if the op was still around and if they solved anything? i'll most likely start a new thread for my problem tomorrow... getting late.
m
l
!