Notebook RAM compatiblilty

Zeke14

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I will be puchasing the following laptop and would like to immediately upgrade the memory

Laptop in question - Toshiba Satellite L850D-BT2N22

Looking to upgrade to 16GB (2x8) by replacing the stock 4GB stick

Would like to purchase from newegg as I plan on getting a SSD for this laptop from them as well, I was considering the following item for memory -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600000410%20600213067&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GSQ
CL 10
1.5V

A Google search and GSkills website failed to confirm that this RAM would work. I am concerned because the Crucial and Kingston models i found listed as compatible with the laptop both had a CAS latency of 11, the Crucial model also had a voltage of 1.35 (Kingston was unlisted).

I guess i have two questions -

Will the G Skill set work?
and
Would i even notice a difference in performance due to the higher latency of the crucial model... furthermore, should i even be bothering to get 16 GB? I was under the impression that the AMD apu's performed better with more/faster RAM.

Hi,

I wouldn't touch a toshiba laptop with a 10 foot pole.

I have a bunch of client having them dead within the first week:

They all had mobo issues and had to be sent for repairs. Afterward they still had issues.

Asus / msi are much better quality / costumer service.

Get a dell or lenovo but not

gateway / acer or hp

Zeke14

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Thanks for the opinion, but there are very few options out there with the A10-4600m... nothing from MSI and ASUS currently, i looked there first. The processor and price range i have is very restrictive, the Toshiba model was the best option I found.

EDIT: Lenovo's offering is ~25% more expensive for the same configuration... not to mention it is much less aesthetically pleasing and a bit larger/heavier. Nothing AMD from Dell.

No better from HP (more expensive as well).

I still plan to go with the Toshiba.

My questions remain -

Will the g skill memory work and should i even be looking to go with that model over crucials or with 16GBs for that matter?