Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1300 computer first build

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 6, 2011 9:06:21 AM

Hey i just wanted to get advice if all the parts in my build are compatible :D 
Approximate Purchase Date: End of september


Budget Range: $1000-$1300 before MIR


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet surfing


Parts Not Required: Keyboard,Mouse,Monitor


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca


Country of Origin: Canada


Parts Preferences: I use Intel CPUs and Nvidia Video cards.


Overclocking: Yes, The CPU I'm overclocking to 4.5Ghz


SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future.


Monitor Resolution: 1440X900 or 1920X1080 still unsure.


Additional Comments: I may change the CPU cooler as I research more.

Here are the parts I've chosen:

Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced NVIDIA edition $109.99
Or Combo with CM Silent Pro 700W $214.98

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K $219.99

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $39.99

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO $179.99

PSU: SeaSonic M12II Bronze 520W Modular Power Supply $91.99
Or CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W Power Supply $99.99
If I SLI in the future: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 Modular Power Supply 149.99

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 560 Ti Direct CU II $249.99
or MSI Geforce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II $239.99

OS: Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium $100

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB $ 64.99

DVD Drive: Any 24x DVD Writer

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4 or 8GB DDR3 1333 or 1600MHz $30-60 on Newegg

Total :$1,160.40 but with taxes and shipping its $1,358.46
Thanks for the advice!

More about : 1300 computer build

September 6, 2011 9:11:38 AM

Hi, I'm looking into building a very similar machine. If I were you I would do some reading of reviews for the P8P67 Pro. I looked into getting one but I decided on something else.

Also the price difference for 4-8 gb of ram is very small. Personally I am going with the 8 :) .
September 6, 2011 9:53:19 AM

Thanks for fast response and I've read a lot of reviews on the Pro its fairly good for overclocking and seems perfect for my needs. I looked at your build too and its nice but the 750w Psu might be overkill for your parts but its good for future proofing. Also here it shows that the HyperX performs better than the Vengeance and its cheaper by $50!
Related resources
September 7, 2011 9:06:42 AM

Also should I spend a few extra bucks and get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD instead of the Seagate Barracuda? Should I also switch my case to a CM HAF 922?
September 7, 2011 9:14:13 AM

PyroShield said:
Also should I spend a few extra bucks and get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD instead of the Seagate Barracuda? Should I also switch my case to a CM HAF 922?


Yes to both those questions!
September 7, 2011 9:25:32 AM

I just realized the Samsung F3 is a SATA 2/3GBp/s HDD would that make it slower than the Seagate which is SATA 3/6GBp/s? I'm still not sure about the HAF 922. Plus i Really like the green color scheme of the CM 690 II Nvidia edition.
September 7, 2011 10:12:43 AM

I have also changed the PSU. Is there a better PSU out there or are those ok for my build?
September 7, 2011 10:30:02 AM

Meh, casing most of the time is personal preferences so it's really up to you. The PSUs you listed are both good.
September 7, 2011 10:33:19 AM

I'm not too sure about the hard drive but you wouldn't notice any major difference between the samsung n seagate. Just get the seagate.
September 8, 2011 8:32:22 AM

Which GPU runs cooler? From reviews and benchmarks it seems that the ASUS runs cooler and faster than the MSI version. Which one should I get? I don't care about noise levels, i care about the temperatures.
September 8, 2011 10:59:07 PM

If the ASUS runs cooler and faster than the MSI it's a no brainer. To me it's worth the extra 10 bucks.
September 12, 2011 9:18:03 AM

Would my build run Dead Island on max settings? How about BF3?
September 12, 2011 9:50:47 AM

Also For mobo Should i get the ASRock P67 extreme4 gen 3 or ASUS p8p67 pro?
September 12, 2011 11:45:35 AM

Being a newbie myself, I would, and did go with the ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 simply because of the reviews on newegg compared to the p8p67 pro.
September 12, 2011 3:34:39 PM

FREE SHIPPING

These two companies (Direct Canada and Best Direct) are affiliated and both use the same shipping addy out of Richmond, BC. Just add a case.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10370AC9874&v... $92.12
Antec High Current Gamer 750W 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze SLI Power Supply 135mm Fan

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD1817&v... $159.69 MIR $149.69
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/232639/BX80623I52500K... $208.79
Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC8843&v... $23.69
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15380BD5211&v... $45.03
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/233111/ST31000524AS/S... $49.79
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/225965/DRW-24B1ST%20B... $16.79
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD9294&v... $233.92 MIR $203.92
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi 900MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini HDMI DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/222137/GFC-00599/MICR... $93.79
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

Total: $923.91 *not including tax and mail in rebates
September 13, 2011 8:02:01 AM

Why_Me said:
FREE SHIPPING

These two companies (Direct Canada and Best Direct) are affiliated and both use the same shipping addy out of Richmond, BC. Just add a case.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10370AC9874&v... $92.12
Antec High Current Gamer 750W 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze SLI Power Supply 135mm Fan

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD1817&v... $159.69 MIR $149.69
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/232639/BX80623I52500K... $208.79
Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC8843&v... $23.69
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15380BD5211&v... $45.03
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/233111/ST31000524AS/S... $49.79
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/225965/DRW-24B1ST%20B... $16.79
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD9294&v... $233.92 MIR $203.92
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi 900MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini HDMI DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/222137/GFC-00599/MICR... $93.79
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

Total: $923.91 *not including tax and mail in rebates

Sorry I won't be doing your build. I will NEVER buy gigabyte products. I bought 1 VGA and 3 Mobos from them and all Dead within 1-2 days. My loyalty goes with ASUS. Also I was already considering buying from Direct Canada anyways. I might consider your PSU in case I wanna SLI in the future when prices go down.
September 13, 2011 4:49:42 PM

PyroShield said:
Sorry I won't be doing your build. I will NEVER buy gigabyte products. I bought 1 VGA and 3 Mobos from them and all Dead within 1-2 days. My loyalty goes with ASUS. Also I was already considering buying from Direct Canada anyways. I might consider your PSU in case I wanna SLI in the future when prices go down.

Ya I could see where it might get pretty tricky to switch out that Gigabyte board up there for an Asus board...kinda like rocket science. As far as the other components in that build...if you can find them cheaper than that then good luck.
September 15, 2011 10:46:20 AM

Should get the ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 for in case I upgrade to ivy bridge?
September 15, 2011 10:56:14 AM

PyroShield said:
Should get the ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 for in case I upgrade to ivy bridge?

That would be some good future proofing. The only Canadian distrubuter I know of though that has that board is newegg canada and they want $200 CAD which is a bit of a hose job imo. If you can old on for a week or two Canada Computers will have that board along with the other Asrock Gen3 boards.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2... <----- Canada Computers does have that Gen3 board in now. It's a board that supports SLI.
September 15, 2011 11:20:19 AM

Is the extreme 4 gen 3 supposed to cost less than $200? Where can I get it cheaper?
September 16, 2011 6:08:57 AM

Also is my case large enough to house the 560 ti? What about the CPU cooler?
!