draynoe

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hope this is in the proper forum, seems to fit with my new build!

First build so I need some air flow help :)

It's probably important to note also that I haven't received the computer parts yet but they will be here this week!

I recently purchased a complete gaming rig that can be seen in this post: One last look - Sign-off on $2300 machine ...

After reading over this post: Air Flow Question, it seems like flipping the back exhaust fan to pull air into the case (through the radiator) will disrupt the air flow of the overall case.

This would be the setup I would be running after installing the H60:

INTAKE:

Front 200mm
Back 120mm w/ H60 Radiator

OUTTAKE:

Side Panel 200mm
Top 200mm

I currently do not have a fan for the bottom of the case (Should I?) ... To me this seems like a bad setup ... It seems like a proper air flow situation would leave the following:

INTAKE:

Front
Side
Bottom (If I purchased another fan)

OUTTAKE:

Back

But, this isn't really feasible with the H60.

I suppose the question is what should the configuration be with the H60? ... Should I buy a bottom fan? ... Should I just send the H60 back and get something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and leave the proper fan configuration?

I would really like to keep the H60, I love the product and thing it will be really fun to have.

What would you guys do?

Thanks! :)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Your best option is probably:

Front fan - Intake
Side Fan - Intake
Rear - Intake (for H60)
Roof - Exhaust

Providing the roof fan was of good quality (high cmf) it should exhaust out out enough hot air.

The side could be used as exhaust but personally i like to have the cool air blowing directly onto my GPU.

draynoe

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks Adrian - I would really like to have the side fan blowing onto the GPU's also ... seems like a good idea.

I'm wondering if the roof fan will provide enough exhaust - It will be the stock fan that comes with the case.

Also thinking it may be a good idea to just send the H60 back and go with a good CPU heatsink/fan >_> ... Hmmm :p

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
hmm.. I've just seen the HAF 922 yesterday at a store where I went to buy a new PSU. It looks awesome, I'll buy one once I start working. :p

Front (200mm) - Intake
Side Panel (200mm) - Intake
Bottom (120/140mm) - Intake
Rear (140mm) - Exhaust
Top (200mm) - Exhaust

Whats up with the radiator? is it a 120mm one?

draynoe

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Yep it uses a 120mm fan with a larger radiator: 120mm x 152mm x 27mm

In order to use it though I have to flip the rear fan to pull air into the radiator inside the case ... so I end up with only one exhaust at the top of the case.

Do you think that the one top fan would be sufficient for the air exhaust?

I would end up with:

INTAKE:

Front
Side
Rear (Through radiator)

OUTTAKE:

:)

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
why must you flip the rear fan?

i would imagine that almost any fan configuration will give you safe operating temps at stock speeds in the haf 922, although some will obviously be better than others. i dont think you need to return anything, but i would test whether the side fan works better as an intake or exhaust, or simply removed from the case, as i have heard different people report best results with all three options.

also: cant you use the rear 120mm fan that comes with the case as your bottom fan?

draynoe

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi genhiskron,

My understanding for the H60 is that you have to flip the rear fan in order to pull air into the radiator that's mounted to the fan.

I hadn't considered mounting the stock rear fan to the bottom of the case but that does make sense... I was thinking about doing push/pull on the radiator with the stock rear fan if it's possible ... not sure though ...

I suppose that I could try:

INTAKE:

Front
Bottom
Rear

OUTTAKE:

Side

Not sure how well it would work :p