Will the prices of ivy bridge be similar to current sandy bridge cpu's

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Prices will be similar. But almost certainly slightly higher.

For example if 3 SandyBridge CPUs are priced at, 100, 200, 300. Their IvyBridge replacements are likely to be more like 150, 250, 350.

They will still do a range of prices across different CPU specs. However due to them being brand new, they will most likely boast a higher price bracket than current SB CPUs.

We try to release processors to hit price points, While we may have some price drops on old processors in the end it the prices on new processors should be right at the point of the old processor before there was a price drop.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

and how do you know this, or are you making it up?, ah yes you're making it up.

Perhaps +5+10 or +2-5% for inflationary presssures, but not +50. Although intel, if you are listening (and I know you are) i'd prefer -5-10 or -5% :)

they need to match prices with amd and with migrate the market from SB to IB, so perhaps a slight increase and then they'll drop as SB processors are wound down.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

thank you...

will the z77 chipset motherboards be more expensive than current z68 motherboards?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

The numbers I listed weren't percentages. I Just listed them as a random example. Put a £ or $ sign in front and they might make more sense.

Yes Intel do have to compete with AMD, but not to such a strict price line. Intel are already leaps and bounds ahead of AMD with current CPU's. Sandy Bridge is a prime example. There's no way they will introduce a whole new line of CPU's at the same or lower price than what currently exists. It makes no viable market sense. More performance = More price. General trend wise anyway.

Sandy Bridge i5-2500k priced at £150
Ivy Bridge "i5-****k" with 20% more performance, simply isn't going to be priced at £150 or less. Its going to be at least £170 or more.

You cannot say prices are going to drop toward the end of the life cycle.

I paid about $330 for a C3 Q9550 when I bought years ago at Frye's. If you can find them now, they are around $350.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I thought die shrinks always resulted in a price drop? I remember the E8400 being fairly cheaper than the E6850. If these are released at the same price point, then that would be a real shame, and I would start blaming lack of competition.

but you are getting more performance, so die shrink + more perf = stable prices probably. Normally a die shrink = better prices as the chips are smaller and each wafer makes more chips, hence they are cheaper. however its not a straight die shrink, its a die shrink with added igpu components, so its possible it'll be bigger, hence less chips per wafer. Or it could be just proportionally bigger in which case same number of chips per wafer = same price. Except that wastage will be higher, so they'll need to cover those costs.
There are too many factors involved.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Ah, but all die shrinks aren't just die shrinks. They have added performance stuff added as well. Maybe not as much as Ivy's igpu, but enough so that the die shrinks out perform the ones they replace, yet still manage to be cheaper. Perhaps if the prices remain the same, Intel will use the igpu as an excuse.