Sign in with
Your question

New build, unverified compatibility, no sign of life

Last response: in Memory
September 13, 2012 7:02:05 PM

Is this description relatively common on desktop computers? (Press power button, nothing happens, no concerning sounds or PSU fan)

Tried so far:
Tried both sides of F_PANEL power button connector
Ensured ATX cable secured as well as CPU power
Video card properly seated
Memory properly seated (DIMM_1 & DIMM_2)
Power cable properly inserted
CPU installed as instructed by manual

I am creating a 'new' computer build while reusing my older PSU and Antec case (which was fully functional as of yesterday [BFG Tech 650W])

Spec
Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Rev 1.0
September 13, 2012 11:54:57 PM

Did you flip the PSU switch to on?
m
l
September 14, 2012 1:29:11 AM

Engima said:
Did you flip the PSU switch to on?

Uhh yeah.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 1:38:53 AM

I would still double check the connections with your front panel according to the manual. It should at least light something up on your motherboard if you pushed the power switch.
m
l
September 25, 2012 5:32:07 AM

Just to follow up on this topic... I fixed it the day after and it was one of the few things I did

- Re-seated motherboard
- Made a match to all of the screws for the "case grounds" I had previously
- Loosened the motherboard screws a bit
- Did some minor air cleaning of the internals of the PSU (quite a lot of dust built up there!)

Finally showed signs of power after this with a Jerking ON... and OFF every 2 or so seconds. After about the 5th restart like that (no post no CPU fan) the CPU fan kicked in and kept on going. POST showed my motherboard had a corrupted BIOS (simply replaced itself with the secondary-backup BIOS).

Would consistently have that 'power jerking' effect on a COLD boot of my computer. I believe I fixed it by turning off all of the preset SMART FAN settings.

Have seen no problems since. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Although this RAM is not on the QVL for this motherboard. It works GREAT so far with no issues.
m
l
!