Sign in with
Your question

Clarification of the 8-pin EATX12V connector

Last response: in Motherboards
September 13, 2012 7:18:17 PM

Hi there,

I've finally purchased my pc components. In regards to my power supply unit it has a 4+4 CPU connector cable and a 20+4 power connector cable.

My motherboard is ASUS P8Z77-V-LX. Now i have worked out that the 24-pin cable will connect to the EATXPWR on my motherboard.

However i need clarification for the 8-Pin EATX12V connector on my motherboard please? I assume that 4+4 CPU connector cable from my PSU connect this particular port?

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
September 13, 2012 7:25:39 PM

KP101 said:
However i need clarification for the 8-Pin EATX12V connector on my motherboard please? I assume that 4+4 CPU connector cable from my PSU connect this particular port?

Is this correct?

Yep, that's correct.
September 13, 2012 11:53:40 PM

The 8-pin CPU connector will have a matching female connection somewhere near the CPU socket which is a dead giveaway to where it fits.
Related resources
September 16, 2012 1:19:48 PM

Thanks all,

By the way i had another look in my manual and from the diagram i noticed i can a connect 4-pin CPU connector. Obviously i have to match up the connectors etc.

I had a look at the PSU CPU connector and from what I can see only 4 pins of the 8 match the 8-Pin EATX12V. So is it true that i don't need to connect all 8? Will it still work? I have an i7 CPU by the way.

Thanks in advance,
September 17, 2012 5:30:57 PM

Engima said:
The 8-pin CPU connector will have a matching female connection somewhere near the CPU socket which is a dead giveaway to where it fits.

I've connected the 8-pin CPU cable successfully. I matched up the ports accordingly and slotted it in. Cheers.
September 18, 2012 2:47:03 AM

good to hear you figure it out! you can now try power on your pc
September 18, 2012 5:30:55 PM

My pc successfully turned on yay!

This is my first build so i am impressed. I was scared of blowing the CPU up so i double checked i had all the cables etc plugged before i hit the power button.

I've just installed my Windows 7 and the drivers that came with the MB.

I was slightly scared because i heard this really loud vibration noise in my pc. So i then switched the pc off, waited for few minutes, opened the pc and made sure the wires wasn't near any fans etc.

Switched the pc back on and there was a low humming noise which i had expected originally.

Now i need to continue on installing software etc.

May 24, 2013 10:09:38 PM

Hey
I have the P8Z77V_PRO, the cpu connector on the mobo are 8pin but my psu has 4+4 pin and only half of it fits in. On the manual they say I can plug 8pin or just 4pin. I m worried about 2 things. Is it okay that way and can I still overclock. I have ivy bridge i7 - 3770k
June 6, 2013 11:13:07 AM

I would put in 4+4 pin. It should fit in. Yes, you can overclock however you will need to make sure that you are not using the standard CPU fan that comes with the processor.
June 6, 2013 11:19:19 AM

thank you
from a week i plugged it in and everything worked. as for overclocking i have the frio extreme cooler.
!