Sign in with
Your question

Network cable unplugged error (but in fact not unplugged at all)- Crosshair Form

Last response: in Motherboards
September 13, 2012 10:11:14 PM

I have come back yet again with another question for the family. I have an Asus Crosshair Formula V that has been really acting up.

About 3 weeks ago my internet (LAN) stopped working literally overnight while the computer was turned off. After a great deal of procrastination I went about trouble shooting.

After getting nowhere I replaced my router and still my computer is displaying the icon with the red X over the network plug and monitor in the bottom right hand of my task bar.

So then I thought this could be a cable issue, so I bought a new cable. After that didn't solve the problem I am now thinking it is the on-board LAN device.

Problem is this: of the 8 times I have turned this computer on 2 of the times after about an hour of being turned on.. surprise... it connects and runs lightning fast, then I shut off my computer and restart and no more internet connection.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening before? I am very confused.
September 13, 2012 11:49:34 PM

Can you see your LAN adapter on the Hardware list or the BIOs?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 4:58:30 PM

Hi there,

Windows 7 has a Network Troubleshooter, which can determine where the problem in the network is.
Also might download and install the latest Intel Gigbyte driver for this chip, from the ASUS D/L center

Intel Gigabit Ethernet Driver V16.4.0.0 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.
File Size 118,31 (MBytes) 2012.01.09 update

You may also need to delete the present Network connection on your computer, and then have it set up a new connection from the Network and Sharing Dialog a fresh.

m
l
September 17, 2012 9:03:17 PM

I have tried all of the above at one point or another.

I will take a look at my bios and see if the adapter shows up and report back...

The windows 7 trouble shooter gives me the error in the title. It tells me that a network cable is unplugged or that there may be a problem with the cable, both of which are certainly not the problem, since over time the computer always connects. As of the weekend I have learned that it always connects but it takes 20+ minutes to do.
m
l
!