  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
July 13, 2004 2:58:49 PM

I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
password is required. What am I missing?

More about : tweakui autologin stick

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:14:44 AM

for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must* provide
a password. It won't work with a blank password.

"A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
> choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
> choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
> password is required. What am I missing?
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 4:04:30 AM

Hi,

You may try this as well. Type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 at Start >> Run and press enter.
Under the "User" tab, uncheck the box "Users must enter a username...." and hit apply. Supply the
username and password under which you want your computer to Auto-logon everytime and OK your way
out.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
> choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
> choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
> password is required. What am I missing?
July 14, 2004 4:55:32 AM

That is not correct.

I use no password and logon automatically to the Desktop.

[[Note This process only works if the computer is not joined to a domain.

Requirements
The Welcome screen must be available
Guest account access must be turned off
There must be only one user account on the computer
The user account must not have a password]]

How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:83d48$40f434ec$3e3be8f0$5880@news2.zonnet.nl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
hunted and pecked:
> for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must*
> provide a password. It won't work with a blank password.
>

> "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
>> choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
>> choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
>> password is required. What am I missing?
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:22:16 PM

> There must be only one user account on the computer
> The user account must not have a password

I disagree with you on both these points. My desktop has more than one user account and i can
autologon to my account (which ofcourse has a password) without any problems.

--

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:8w%Ic.82522$XM6.1959@attbi_s53...
> That is not correct.
>
> I use no password and logon automatically to the Desktop.
>
> [[Note This process only works if the computer is not joined to a domain.
>
> Requirements
> The Welcome screen must be available
> Guest account access must be turned off
> There must be only one user account on the computer
> The user account must not have a password]]
>
> How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:83d48$40f434ec$3e3be8f0$5880@news2.zonnet.nl,
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> hunted and pecked:
>> for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must*
>> provide a password. It won't work with a blank password.
>>

>> "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
>>> choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
>>> choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
>>> password is required. What am I missing?

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:22:17 PM

Anando,

That was copied and pasted from here:

In news:uklSNEZaEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> There must be only one user account on the computer
>> The user account must not have a password
>
> I disagree with you on both these points. My desktop has more than
> one user account and i can autologon to my account (which ofcourse
> has a password) without any problems.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>> That is not correct.
>>
>> I use no password and logon automatically to the Desktop.
>>
>> [[Note This process only works if the computer is not joined to a
>> domain.
>>
>> Requirements
>> The Welcome screen must be available
>> Guest account access must be turned off
>> There must be only one user account on the computer
>> The user account must not have a password]]
>>
>> How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:83d48$40f434ec$3e3be8f0$5880@news2.zonnet.nl,
>> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must*
>>> provide a password. It won't work with a blank password.
>>>

>>> "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 1:07:46 AM

In that case, the KB article seems to be grossly incorrect.

--

!