tweakui autologin doesn't stick

I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
password is required. What am I missing?
6 answers Last reply
More about tweakui autologin doesn stick

    for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must* provide
    a password. It won't work with a blank password.

    "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
    > choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
    > choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
    > password is required. What am I missing?

    Hi,

    You may try this as well. Type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 at Start >> Run and press enter.
    Under the "User" tab, uncheck the box "Users must enter a username...." and hit apply. Supply the
    username and password under which you want your computer to Auto-logon everytime and OK your way
    out.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
    > choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
    > choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
    > password is required. What am I missing?

    That is not correct.

    I use no password and logon automatically to the Desktop.

    [[Note This process only works if the computer is not joined to a domain.

    Requirements
    The Welcome screen must be available
    Guest account access must be turned off
    There must be only one user account on the computer
    The user account must not have a password]]

    How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:83d48$40f434ec$3e3be8f0$5880@news2.zonnet.nl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    hunted and pecked:
    > for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must*
    > provide a password. It won't work with a blank password.
    >

    > "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
    >> choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
    >> choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
    >> password is required. What am I missing?

    > There must be only one user account on the computer
    > The user account must not have a password

    I disagree with you on both these points. My desktop has more than one user account and i can
    autologon to my account (which ofcourse has a password) without any problems.

    --

    "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:8w%Ic.82522$XM6.1959@attbi_s53...
    > That is not correct.
    >
    > I use no password and logon automatically to the Desktop.
    >
    > [[Note This process only works if the computer is not joined to a domain.
    >
    > Requirements
    > The Welcome screen must be available
    > Guest account access must be turned off
    > There must be only one user account on the computer
    > The user account must not have a password]]
    >
    > How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:83d48$40f434ec$3e3be8f0$5880@news2.zonnet.nl,
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > hunted and pecked:
    >> for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must*
    >> provide a password. It won't work with a blank password.
    >>

    >> "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I choose "Log on automatically at system startup" and
    >>> choose username "Owner" in Tweakui (Autologin), but this
    >>> choice doesn't persist when I restart the system. No
    >>> password is required. What am I missing?

    Anando,

    That was copied and pasted from here:

    In news:uklSNEZaEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> There must be only one user account on the computer
    >> The user account must not have a password
    >
    > I disagree with you on both these points. My desktop has more than
    > one user account and i can autologon to my account (which ofcourse
    > has a password) without any problems.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >> That is not correct.
    >>
    >> I use no password and logon automatically to the Desktop.
    >>
    >> [[Note This process only works if the computer is not joined to a
    >> domain.
    >>
    >> Requirements
    >> The Welcome screen must be available
    >> Guest account access must be turned off
    >> There must be only one user account on the computer
    >> The user account must not have a password]]
    >>
    >> How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282866
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:83d48$40f434ec$3e3be8f0$5880@news2.zonnet.nl,
    >> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> for the "Log on automatically at system startup" function you *must*
    >>> provide a password. It won't work with a blank password.
    >>>

    >>> "A. Wehmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    In that case, the KB article seems to be grossly incorrect.