Windows 7 ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinadave

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Hello,
i use windows 7 ultimate on my dell laptop. the problem is that my inbuilt webcam is not recognised an a hardware .same applies to my external webcam. i can only use it in yahoo messenger or skype. this is unacceptable

Solution

I agree that I would install the specific driver for the camera, rather than relying on the Win 7 generic driver. See if it will do a driver update to the latest Dell driver after you download and unpack it.
Did you install the drivers for the camera ?? Without the proper drivers how is the system supposed to know what type of camera is installed in order to run it properly ! While windows has come along way in being able to plug and play devices it still needs to have the proper drivers available to install -- so if you do not have the drivers go to DELL's website and try to find the proper ones for your version of windows (32 bit or 64 bit) and download and install them.

chinadave

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

hi,
i tried this before thru the device manager and im told driver installed . its a 32 bit version im using

chinadave

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

if i go to my computer, i can see my hard drives, all 4 of them. if i plug in an usb drive, i can see it in my computer. but any external webcam is not listed in my computer. my previous laptops using windows vista and xp wud have recognised the webcam . i can use the webcam to take photos if i like---without logging on the internet--hence yahoo messenger.skype
this is my first experience of using windows 7. is it not supposed to recognise webcams as hardware?

RealBeast

Titan

I agree that I would install the specific driver for the camera, rather than relying on the Win 7 generic driver. See if it will do a driver update to the latest Dell driver after you download and unpack it.

Solution

chinadave

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

ok advice noted. Question: how can i get the drivers for both my external and internal webcams. i think i cant find cd for external webcam again. answer wud be appreciated. thanks

chinadave

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

AM I right in assuming that NORMALLY, windows 7 should recognise webcams as hardware device?

Windows isn't very bright ...... when plugging in new hardware, the best advice is to "Just say no" when it "discovers new hardware" and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site. Windows 7 is what ....2 years old ? SP1 .... 15 Moinths old ? Assuming 1st that the drivers for your device were ever included in Windows / SP1, it's pretty safe bet that the ones on the manufacturer's web site are newer. Those are the ones that should always be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.