Sign in with
Your question

Build issues

Last response: in Motherboards
September 13, 2012 11:41:23 PM

Hello peeps, Im having a bit of a dilema and would like some oppinions.
3 months ago got a new full pc system built for me by a company with a good rep. I upgraded the gfx card from a prebuilt bundle and asked if everything would work ok together, they said it works good together so i went ahead. The vital parts are : gigabyte Z77-DH3 mobo, i5 3570, 8gig corsair 1600ghz, Gigabyte gtx 670 windforce x3.

I had a month or so of no problems just brousing the web and non gameing use. I then tryed out a fiew games, started experienceing system crashes and client crashes in all 3 games, bought 2 more games and at some point not far into playing i got crash's.

After reading up around the web im coming to learn there are stability issues with my gfx card running in PCIE3 on my motherboard . :ouch: 

I have contacted the company that built my PC for me and explained my issue. I was given the option to send my gfx card back to them were they will test if there is any fault .. but if no fault is found i will be charged for it. I can picture them now putting it into a setup not the same as mine and it works with no problems because its not replicating my mobo/PCIE3 issue, then they charge me and return the card, then im back to were i started.

I have read in some posts that i can change the PCIE3 too PCIE2 on my motherboard bios to solve the crashing i am experiencing. This to me as pretty much a beginner with computers seem a risky thing to do, as there are a lot of things i could do wrong in the Bios to completly mess up my PC . I'm extremely reluctant to alter anything there.

Maybe an option is to ask the company that build the PC for me to take it back and make these changes for me ? But will downgradeing to PCIE2 reduce the performance i should be getting from the card if it was in PCIE3 ?? Maybe it would be better for me to accept the loss on the GTX670 and Buy a 6970 ??

If anyone has some other solution i could try or any input at all id be glad to listen, thanks in advance.

More about : build issues

September 14, 2012 7:02:27 AM

firstly what power supply are you using because it could be skimping on the power to the 670 and the 670 as i believe it a very power intensive card
September 14, 2012 7:22:54 AM

apgs02 said:
Hello peeps, Im having a bit of a dilema and would like some oppinions.
3 months ago got a new full pc system built for me by a company with a good rep. I upgraded the gfx card from a prebuilt bundle and asked if everything would work ok together, they said it works good together so i went ahead. The vital parts are : gigabyte Z77-DH3 mobo, i5 3570, 8gig corsair 1600ghz, Gigabyte gtx 670 windforce x3.

I had a month or so of no problems just brousing the web and non gameing use. I then tryed out a fiew games, started experienceing system crashes and client crashes in all 3 games, bought 2 more games and at some point not far into playing i got crash's.

After reading up around the web im coming to learn there are stability issues with my gfx card running in PCIE3 on my motherboard . :ouch: 

I have contacted the company that built my PC for me and explained my issue. I was given the option to send my gfx card back to them were they will test if there is any fault .. but if no fault is found i will be charged for it. I can picture them now putting it into a setup not the same as mine and it works with no problems because its not replicating my mobo/PCIE3 issue, then they charge me and return the card, then im back to were i started.

I have read in some posts that i can change the PCIE3 too PCIE2 on my motherboard bios to solve the crashing i am experiencing. This to me as pretty much a beginner with computers seem a risky thing to do, as there are a lot of things i could do wrong in the Bios to completly mess up my PC . I'm extremely reluctant to alter anything there.

Maybe an option is to ask the company that build the PC for me to take it back and make these changes for me ? But will downgradeing to PCIE2 reduce the performance i should be getting from the card if it was in PCIE3 ?? Maybe it would be better for me to accept the loss on the GTX670 and Buy a 6970 ??

If anyone has some other solution i could try or any input at all id be glad to listen, thanks in advance.

I'm with the guy who wondered about your power supply. 600W should do it, assuming a really good brand.

But as far as the BIOS goes, go for it...change the expansion slot to PCIE2 mode. I doubt if you will have any problems.
But in a worst-case scenario, if you happen to change something in the BIOS that really messes your system up...

Just remove the CR2032 button battery from your motherboard, then walk away for about 20 minutes. Then reinstall the battery, go into BIOS and load default settings and you're back where you started...

The nice thing about messing around with the BIOS is that it's relatively easy to go back to factory default settings if something does go wrong.

In short, if someone posted elsewhere that the fix is just tweaking BIOS settings in CMOS, then do that...

September 14, 2012 9:08:48 AM

Thanks for the replys. The power Suply im useing is the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750w. Im going to have a look in the Bios again today without changeing anything first just to make myself a little more familiar with what ill have to change in there and get a good guide. And its nice to know about takeing the battery out the motherboard will reset it back to default, that could be a real life saver knowing that. Ill let you know how i get on , Many thanks
!