Low 3DMark11 Score - Processor Problem?

blakebee

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hey everybody...

So, I finished building my first ever custom build today.. Super psyched, started up first try. Everything seems to be running smooth. Here are the system specs:

ASRock p67 Extreme 4
i5 2500k @ 3.3 ghz (stock cooler)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
8g Corsair Vengeance - 1600mhz
Antec EarthWatts 750W
Seagate 500GB 7200rpm

I ran a PassMark performance test prior to the 3Dmark11 and everything looked ship-shape.. Scores were average, if not higher, than the listed ones online. Also ran a quick intel burn test to make sure the processor was running alright - shot strait up to 3.3+ with temps <70c.

I downloaded 3Dmark11 a bit ago and ran it.. Results seemed a bit off, mainly with the processor clock speed that was listed on the result page. Recorded the speed as 1596 MHz (?!?!) and FPS never broke 30 FPS; i suppose the score isn't extremely off, but something seems a bit wrong. Also, is it normal for it to record the RAM low like it did?.. has both modules @ 667 Mhz!

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1474842?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F1474842%3Fkey%3DHBFTLAc9sUcDW9Lhcd0YwhSucZLwZv

Any info would be appreciated!

Solution
The listed speed on the processor often records the speed while in idle mode. The intel chips drop their multiplier by around half when the CPU is not loaded. By the score, I'm confident you are ok. My i7 920 does the same thing.

As for your 3dMark11 score. Again, that's a very good score. Anytime you achieve "comparable" results in 3dMark, you are well above average for most people. 3dmark scores tend to be inflated due to the amount of overclockers recording their scores.

It's very normal not to see over 30 FPS with this benchmark. It's new, and when 3dmark first releases benchmarks, they are very stressful, and take a few years before machines are eating them up.
The listed speed on the processor often records the speed while in idle mode. The intel chips drop their multiplier by around half when the CPU is not loaded. By the score, I'm confident you are ok. My i7 920 does the same thing.

As for your 3dMark11 score. Again, that's a very good score. Anytime you achieve "comparable" results in 3dMark, you are well above average for most people. 3dmark scores tend to be inflated due to the amount of overclockers recording their scores.

It's very normal not to see over 30 FPS with this benchmark. It's new, and when 3dmark first releases benchmarks, they are very stressful, and take a few years before machines are eating them up.

Solution