Excellion

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
hello everyone,

I'm not really sure where i should post this, so im trying here.

I was wondering, if my cpu usage is like 60% and gpu 30% while playing a game that means that the game isnt that demanding right ? well then why doesnt it run with high fps then ? :) for example i lauched a starcraft2 replay on an intensive battle, i was having like 20fps on high settings, while checking msi afterburner and realtemp, they were showing that my gpu wos working on 32% and cpu 50-60% usage, is that normal ? it's strange to me that i aint getting playable frames per second but my system isnt trying to give me them. i tried benchmarks like unigine heaven and intel burn test hey get my cpu and gpu up to 100%, but in real life scenario i dont get that, why is it so ? :) I did all this "benchmarking" of mine in windowed mode so i wasnt alt tabing to check what the programs are telling.

My system :
CPU : Intel core2duo e6550 2.33ghz @ 3.15ghz
MB : Gigabyte ga-g31m-s2l
GPU : Asus CuCore HD 5770
RAM : A-data premier 2x2gb ddr2 800mhz @ 900mhz
PSU : Modecom 500w
HDD : Seagate baracuda 360gb 7200rpm

What resolution and settings are you playing on? I can almost bet that your CPU is the limiting factor here. Afterburner for GPU is fine, but how did you determine that 60% is the maximum CPU usage?

Excellion

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010

did you read my post ? i said i checked everything while the game was playing in WINDOWED mode, no alt tabing.

Of course it matters... Higher settings = more horsepower required.

I think this link explains things quite well:

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html

Have a look at the Task Manager graph of the CPU. One core is fully loaded, yet the average is reported as 33%. I'm guessing the 60% usage you see is an average, while one core is probably running at close to 100% most of the time.

If you look at the graph, even though your CPU is not shown, there are significantly more powerful processors that dip into the 20fps range on Ultra settings. The fact that your GPU only sits at about 30% confirms that the CPU is having to do quite a bit of work.

If you want to improve performance, I suggest you play on High, and tune down the CPU intensive settings such as physics and shadows. See this link for some more intensive tweak tips:

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?17455-Starcraft-II-Graphics-Tweak-Guide

Hope this helps.