Hooking up the PSU

moodicrus

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
My motherboard is a GA-Z77-D3H, my power supply is a Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3. There is a 24 pin cable coming out of the power supply, and a 24 pin socket for it on the motherboard, but there is also a 4 pin socket on the motherboard and no corresponding 4 pin cable from the power supply. Did I buy the wrong power supply or is the 4 pin socket by the CPU not necesary when you have a 24 pin cable?

The 4 pin CPU connector absolutely needs to be connected for the system to work, but you PSU does have that connector.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

In bold:

Connectors
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin EPS 12V
2 x PCI-E
5 x SATA
4 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy

It's a 4+4 pin connector that splits into 2 separate 4 pin connectors.

A lot of boards (especially if they're meant for overclocking) will include the full 8 pin connector, so that's why the PSU has a connector like that.

It's strange that a Z77 board like that doesn't have a full 8 pin connector, but it's a lower end model (probably with fewer power phases than the higher end models), so I guess it's to be expected. Still, it's a bit strange considering my relatively low end Asus Z68 board has a full 8 pin connector, but Gigabyte has their reasons, I guess.

GIGABYTE states that the GA-Z77-D3H Rev:1.1 version has 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector. The motherboard connector is silk-screened with the label ATX_12V_2X4.

The old GA-Z77-D3H Rev:1.0 version has 1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector. That motherboard connector is silk-screened with the label ATX_12V.

Why did you get the old version of that motherboard model?

From Corsair's Power Supplies FAQ:

Q: Where’s the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector that I need for my motherboard?

A: Our power supplies ship with an 8-pin connector that splits in half. Use half of this connector for the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector on your motherboard.