Sign in with
Your question

Does this sound like a PSU problem?

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2011 4:41:30 PM

Hi all,

I posted a question about problems my GPU before, but after some responses it looks like my PSU could be the problem. Here is a link to that thread

Can anyone with experience with faulty power supplies weigh in and let me know if I should go through the trouble of ordering a new one and plugging everything in? And should I just order the same model (it is listed in the other thread)?

More about : sound psu problem

a c 1167 ) Power supply
December 6, 2011 7:31:07 PM

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

Your Antec EarthWatts 650 (EA 650 - EC), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps is way more than what is needed to meet the power requirements.

The problem is not an underpowered power supply unit despite what others have told you.

It's difficult to determine if it's your power supply causing the problem since you don't have the appropriate test equipment (i.e. load tester, oscilloscope, power analyzer, voltmeters, etc.) to determine that.

I wouldn't recommend getting the same model power supply unit that you currently have. I would recommend getting one with better ripple, noise and transient spike suppression than what the Antec EarthWatts 650 (EA 650 - EC) has.

What is your power supply unit budget?

The XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) for $89.99 is one that I would recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!