Sign in with
Your question

Computer shut down during bios update

Last response: in Motherboards
September 14, 2012 5:00:21 AM

I was updating the bios from 2.40 to 2.50 and the computer shut down. Now, when I turn it on...it stays on for about 10 seconds then turns off. I'm trying not to panic and don't want to believe this thing is bricked. Anything I need I have backed up but I'm just hoping I can get this thing back up and running. Before I made the situation worse I just wanted to get some feedback. Where do I go from here?

If any more info is needed just let me know.

windows 7 ultimate
MSI Z77A-G45 mobo
intel core i5 3570k
nvidia gtx 550 ti
600w power sup
a c 125 V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 5:23:37 AM

After reading the MB manual, I believe your MB has the ability to load a bios from a usb 2.0 device (formatted as FAT32) without having a fuctioning BIOS onboard.

Create a FAT 32 usb device containing only the BIOS update file. Download the file from MSI and extract the BIO, ROM, or whatever file name is used to the usb device.

Insert the usb device into a USB 2 port and turn on the system. If this works at all, you'll get some sort of notification that the bios is being updated.

If it doesn't work, then your MB is bricked, and you have to send it back to MSI for flashing.
m
l
September 14, 2012 12:20:41 PM

Thanks for the reply but the all BIOS update downloads are dead links on the MSI website. If I can't get the updates direct from the mfg is there another place I should go? I can't seem to find them elsewhere.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2012 2:26:46 AM

Try the MSI forums at http://forum-en.msi.com for better advice than offered by the company's tech support. MSI brand motherboards appear to give more problems than others with the BIOS update process, especially when the user properly follows MSI's directions.

Install a video card, attach your monitor to it, and turn on the computer while holding down the CTRL and HOME keys (or CTRL and PAGE UP). That should bring up the boot block BIOS, which will display messages telling you to load in the BIOS image file from a floppy disk (not an option for your motherboard), IDE or SATA CD or DVD, or USB flash drive. With AMI BIOSes this file is normally named AMIBOOT.ROM, but many MSI motherboards require it be named after the last file flashed, in your case probably E7752IMS.240 or E7752IMS.250. Leave the computer untouched for at least 5 minutes before cycling the power or hitting the reset switch.

If the above doesn't work, read about flashing the BIOS through the SPI port (i.e., the pins labelled JSPi1, next to the 8-pin BIOS chip by the corner) with the program SPIPGM2 and a parallel printer port:

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/threads/6479-Hot-flash...

https://www.mylesgray.com/hardware/fix-broken-motherboa...

The procedure requires the ability to make wiring connections, perhaps with solder, and a +3.3V source of power (do not substitute 5V), and note that many instructions are not written specifically for your motherboard, therefore the pin numbers for the SPI port may differ. The second link above has one diagram with the right pinout for an MSI SPI port.

m
l
September 16, 2012 5:38:58 AM

Just an update...I tried holding down the ctrl and home keys but it does the same thing.

I push the power button and everything turns on, the monitor gets no signal, it stays on for 10 seconds then turns off. Once off it turns itself back on, stays on for 10 seconds then turns off and repeats the process until I flip the power supply off. Any ideas on what would be causing this problem?
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:20:31 PM

Most mobo company will tell you if you bios work fine don't bother update a new one.
m
l
September 22, 2012 3:07:29 AM

soundsthesame said:
Just an update...I tried holding down the ctrl and home keys but it does the same thing.

I push the power button and everything turns on, the monitor gets no signal, it stays on for 10 seconds then turns off. Once off it turns itself back on, stays on for 10 seconds then turns off and repeats the process until I flip the power supply off. Any ideas on what would be causing this problem?

Is that with a video card installed? It's the only way to see anything, but if that's what you're using you may need to do an SPI BIOS flash:

http://www.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/spi/msi_spi.html

Exact details vary with the particular motherboard
m
l
!