Sign in with
Your question

Is now even a good time to build a pc - to wait or not to wait

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2011 7:04:38 PM

Well, I am trying to build a pc, but there seems to be alot of talk about new stuff coming out

1. My friend say that Nvidia/AMD are releasing new GPUs soon that are going to be multiple times more powerful then current ones, with the same price, is this true?
2. All this talk about BullDozer, what exactly is it, and how much will it cost
3. What is ivy bridge, when is it released, and how much will it cost?
4. if 1. wasn't true, when can we expect the 7000 series from AMD, and the 600 series from Nvidia, or whatever they would move onto next
a b À AMD
September 6, 2011 7:20:22 PM

You seem overly concerned with vagaries instead of specifics,
Bulldozer is the architecture behind the new series of chips from Amd, the desktop chips based on it are yet to be released, and cost therefore is a guess, same for Ivy, its Intels next offering, but as to when/how much, pick a number you like
and unless you have multiple monitors with a high resolution, the Nvid580/Amd 6950 level of cards will be more than sufficient for some time yet,
Stop listening to your friends quite so much and google/research the tech your interested in I.e. '7000 series card release dates'
:) 
Moto
m
l
September 6, 2011 11:39:21 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Bulldozer is the architecture behind the new series of chips from Amd, the desktop chips based on it are yet to be released, and cost therefore is a guess, same for Ivy, its Intels next offering, but as to when/how much, pick a number you like
and unless you have multiple monitors with a high resolution, the Nvid580/Amd 6950 level of cards will be more than sufficient for some time yet,
Stop listening to your friends quite so much and google/research the tech your interested in I.e. '7000 series card release dates'
Moto

i have a 300$ laptop with intel pentium and integrated graphics, i run the built in screen and a 17 inch lcd at the same time, it works fine, not for gaming, coulmdt handle that anyway, but even a 6670 or something could do multiple monitors easily, its the graphic power you need not the number of monitors, im not saying it doesnt play a part in that, but not as much as you imply. btw they are both 720p or higher, but it was 300$. and a free monitor from an office.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 11:56:39 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
.... unless you have multiple monitors with a high resolution, the Nvid580/Amd 6950 level of cards will be more than sufficient for some time yet...

Moto

Just wondering what would qualify for this? What resolutions for how many monitors?

Thanks.
m
l
September 7, 2011 12:08:13 AM

IMO the best time to build a PC is:

1. When I can afford it.
2. When my old one dies, blows up or becomes useless.
3. When I want to.

I'll get out my crystal ball and tune it into the future channel to see what's coming. Oops, forgot I don't have a crystal ball.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the new GPU's and CPU's being "multiple times more powerful then current ones, with the same price". Technology tends to improve incrementally rather than in huge jumps so the next generation will most likely be a significant improvement but it won't render your current system completely useless for quite a while yet.
m
l
September 7, 2011 10:00:52 PM

@vollman1
what i think he meant by multiple monitors with high res, (that you would really need a high end gpu) would be what i picture 3-5 full 1080p 30" monitors with 3D built in and a integrated coffie maker. :p  so just get a lower end gpu with a regular gaming set up unless you want the absolute best graphics on the most demanding games, and for this, your cpu will bottleneck like you wouldnt believe and you would be left sitting there thinking "why the heck did i spend 300$ on this?!?! it did nothing!!!" just like me when i spent 40$ on half a gb (512mb) of RAM for my 6 year old compaq evo lol. trust me, if you want performance that the 580/6950 is meant for, you will probably have to upgrade the psu, cpu, RAM, maybe the motherboard unless it would fit newer cpu sockets. so you may just want to wait to upgrade.
m
l
a b À AMD
September 7, 2011 11:01:15 PM

^damn straight I meant with the coffee-maker!
But yes, you pretty much nailed it, not much point in blowing money on 2-3 £250 card to run a 1024 res monitor :-)
Op has a new thread so I think he's going on a build spree :-p
Moto
m
l
September 7, 2011 11:22:24 PM

You can get them with coffee makers?!?

How would 3x23' 1080p monitors fit into this? Would xfire 6950s be enough for them now?
m
l
September 7, 2011 11:39:36 PM

3 feet by 23 feet? that would be one messed up monitor dude, superwidescreen, but try to stay a bit on topic, i was just making an joke/exageration, but anyways. also moto what is the... never mind i know what the moto at the end of ur posts is now xD
just a note, if anyone has a 6 year old compaq evo, dont bother trying to upgrade the ram in hopes that it will play minecraft, it doesnt work and you will probably be out around 40-80$ lol. love how i was so stupid with computers a year ago and now i know so much lol.
m
l
September 8, 2011 12:14:19 AM

lmao I meant three 23inch monitors

Stupid shift key lol
m
l
a b À AMD
September 8, 2011 12:56:51 AM

The Asus 2Gb support six monitors so crossfire would do 12 monitors :-)
guess whose having two in his new build :-)
And Moto is my name so I sign posts
Moto
m
l
September 8, 2011 10:59:14 PM

i figured that out moto, and lol vollman i should have thot of 3 times 23 feet at LEAST and dude what card supports 6 monitors? they may have 6 ports but that does not mean that they are meant to have 6 monitors t once lol, its just giving you extra options. (2dvi or 2 hdmi or 2 vga etc etc)
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:20:20 PM

ok, that is not the avarage graphics card, most are not like that lol, usually they (as i have already said) ar eonly really meant for 2-3 monitors at once max, that is all hdmi ports as well, most gpu's have 2 of two different kinds, or 1 of each vga, dvi, and hdmi, so we are both right.
m
l
!