Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Photoshop
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2011 7:17:12 PM

I am getting ready to build a new PC with the main emphasis on Photoshop CS5. I do however want to be able to run about anything I may throw at it later on. I will overclock it but I want it to run as quietly as practical. I do not think I have a need for an SSD and the price/capacity ratio is not yet very good. Here are the basic components:

Coolermaster Storm Sniper case

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard

i7-2600k cpu

Corsair/Asetek/Cool-it liquid cooling w/240mm radiator

16GB DDR3-1600, corsair vengeance

600GB Velociraptor boot drive

2TB SATA-III 64MB cache data drive

GTX 550 Ti graphics card (I need to connect 2 monitors, 27"and 24" but no need for great 3D gaming ability)

Thermaltake TR2 750 watt power supply (not sure on this, I have heard good and bad about it)

Win 7 Pro

If anyone has any advice or opinions it would be greatly appreciated

Chuck

More about : photoshop cs5 build advice opinion

September 6, 2011 7:39:23 PM

i know ssd drives are expensive but i believe they will make quite a difference in cs5--and would rather have a 120gb ssd over the velociraptor anyday as a boot drive

also as far as i know cs5 supports nvidia gpu acceleration so a better graphics card may make a big difference

i would go for a better psu from corsair or similar

i assume you mean windows 7 64bit to use all your ram

m
l

Best solution

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2011 9:45:40 PM

Definitely not the velociraptor hard drive . Noisy and far slower than even a slow SSD
Most people will be happy with a 120 gig boot drive SSD

A quiet office case is more appropriate than a gamer case with a huge air flow .
Antec P183 V3 , Antec Sonata lV , Coolermaster Sileo . There are others

Without a powerful graphics card a system like this will draw less than 230 watts total . A 500 watt psu is more appropriate .

Some of the watercooler you list are not known for their low noise . I would use a large air cooler .
The scythe ninja
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
will probably only ever turn its fan on when you boot or are pushing the computer very hard . Even then its quiet .
Zalman also make some very quiet air coolers

Since gaming is not one of the intended uses then I would suggest you buy an appropriate AMD Firepro or nVidia Quaddro graphics card .

Make sure the OS you buy is 64 bit
Related resources
September 13, 2011 1:44:15 AM

Thanks to all of you for the input. Just to clarify some details I should have included in my original post ... my budget is $1500-2000. While my main intent is a CS5 machine, I will also want to overclock the daylights out of it as a "hobby". My last few builds have all run 24/7 at a 25-33 percent overclock on air, reliably, as a daily use machine. Thought it was time to get my feet wet with watercooling (yes, bad joke). I do have a concern about the reliabilty and longevity of SSd drives. I would rather sacrifice a degree of performance and not have to worry about reloading Win Pro 64 a couple of times a year or replacing expensive SSD drives. Can anyone give me a warm fuzzy feeling about SSDs lasting for say 3 years or so without causing a stroke or a heart attack?

Thanks again

Chuck

Outlander_04 said:
Definitely not the velociraptor hard drive . Noisy and far slower than even a slow SSD
Most people will be happy with a 120 gig boot drive SSD

A quiet office case is more appropriate than a gamer case with a huge air flow .
Antec P183 V3 , Antec Sonata lV , Coolermaster Sileo . There are others

Without a powerful graphics card a system like this will draw less than 230 watts total . A 500 watt psu is more appropriate .

Some of the watercooler you list are not known for their low noise . I would use a large air cooler .
The scythe ninja
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
will probably only ever turn its fan on when you boot or are pushing the computer very hard . Even then its quiet .
Zalman also make some very quiet air coolers

Since gaming is not one of the intended uses then I would suggest you buy an appropriate AMD Firepro or nVidia Quaddro graphics card .

Make sure the OS you buy is 64 bit

m
l
September 20, 2011 12:19:34 AM

Best answer selected by akersc.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2011 3:47:21 AM

re: CS5 machine

Look into GPU acceleration by Photoshop CS5. As the poster said above, this is nvidida based. so would look hard at a good nvidia card from teh supported list. (The only benchmark I saw had CPU still faster than GPU, and you have a strong CPU, however eventually the GPU will pass the CPU).

Look into RAID 10 (supported by your MB, google intel rapid storage technology) use four $60 1TB spinpoint f3 drives to get a 2TB disk array with full failure protection) vs. SSD if you want to keep your photos. or do anything with video. Too many SSD fails, and SSD too small for video.
m
l
December 9, 2011 1:48:46 PM

tsnor said:
re: CS5 machine

Look into GPU acceleration by Photoshop CS5. As the poster said above, this is nvidida based. so would look hard at a good nvidia card from teh supported list. (The only benchmark I saw had CPU still faster than GPU, and you have a strong CPU, however eventually the GPU will pass the CPU).

Look into RAID 10 (supported by your MB, google intel rapid storage technology) use four $60 1TB spinpoint f3 drives to get a 2TB disk array with full failure protection) vs. SSD if you want to keep your photos. or do anything with video. Too many SSD fails, and SSD too small for video.

I was surfing Tom's forums looking for answers before submitting a new-build question and found this page. I Newegg-ed an Acer Aspire M34oo when I bought CS5 so I'd have a 64 bit machine in a hurry and immediately maxed-out the memory and upgraded the graphics card to a Sapphire HD5570 , but am planning on building a ground-up, photo-specific machine after the first of the year.

Having lost far too many photos to various hardware failures, kids opening emails with "attachments", etc, I really like your idea about configuring a RAID 10 set-up into the build.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm sure I'll be back to Tom's forums to see what's changed since my last build.

Geezer G
m
l
!