Hd4870x2 big problem with freeze and led ( 1 red)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donwey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hello All , i have a computer with hd4870x2 graphic card and enermax 625w psu , i have this pc for 1 year and never had a problem with something . but 4 days ago i got the problem with ( display driver amd stopped and has succesfull recovered) i did so many solutions like reinstal windows and reinstall ati drivers , i clean the graphic card and the procesor . the problem is that I can play any game in windowed mode but when i turn it on fullscreen it freeze and i cant do anything , i can only reset my computer . i have all cables plugged in graphic card and on the graphic card ( hd4870x2) are five leds and one is red - ( from left to right its 2nd led)
if anybody can help me pls tell me what to do :cry:

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

Sounds like your video card is going out on you. What resolution are you trying?

dmorison

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
The LEDs on the graphics card are diagnostic LEDs and will turn red if they detect an issue. Here are the possible reasons for a red LED:

D14è (R753) 6 Pin power unplugged
D13è (R724) 8 Pin power unplugged
D15è (R819) Overheating (Thermal issue)
D5è (R323) GPU-1 (Master) No power
D7è (R570) GPU-2 (Slave) No power

So what you are suggesting sounds like it is not detecting the 8 pin power lead. Make sure this is correctly located in the power slot on the graphics card. If it is, then to me, and without any further info, it sounds like a faulty power supply.

dmorison

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Also make 100% sure the graphics card is correctly seated in the PCIe slot, as this also may cause power disruption

Donwey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
All is connected from psu to the card so i dont know whats the problem but i will try another pcie slot

Donwey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have connected all again and At first all was ok and i go to play some game i start it and when i was loading the map the led has lighted up and it froze :(

dmorison

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
It still does sound like a hardware issue to me, but it could be Mobo, Graphics card or PSU from the symptoms.

I think you may have to start test-replacing things to rule them out.

I'd start with PSU if it was me, because the fact your graphics card is happy to do a certain amount in Windows is a good sign for it. Then if that produces the same results, try a new graphics card, and finally replace the motherboard.

Erredent

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
If it is the 8-pin power LED, as suggested above, then it does sound like your power supply is failing. That card uses a lot of power.

A problem I had with my 4870X2 was a badly implemented power saver mode which caused lock ups requiring a hard reset during certain games. Most ran fine but there was one or two that crashed quite reliably. The only solution I found was to run Rivatuner and lock the card clock speeds. I don't think this is your problem but it is something you could try.

Donwey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/38822539.png/
so i upload a picture what i did when i run game for only 10seconds because i was aware of red light , but this picture shows that graphic card (2nd) isnt dead , it shows some perfomance , but if i go play longer than 10 seconds ... the red light will appear so is that only PSU problem or something another?

Donwey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
so what schoud i do? buy a new psu or graphic card ? i dont know where is the problem and i dont have any graphics card to try with that psu

Donwey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hello i guys so i bought new psu corsair 850w tx v2 and the problem is still here on the graphic card is still one red light showing the 8 pin power cabel is unplugged or there are 4 red light (from right to left) and the pc wont boot . Can anybody pls help me with this problem

sciferthe2nd

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I had the same problem with the 1 led light on, and the same 1 as you described, the difference was mine was on the second card as I had 2 4870x2s in crossfire setup. The cards were fine until i went full screen and crossfire kicked in, I knew it wasnt the power supply or motherboard as i had a good 1500w Toughpower and a fairly new Rampage 3 extreme board.
I searched everywhere and found a solution well it worked for me.
Turn off the pc disconect all power cords, turn off the power supply, Then remove the battery on the motherboard and switch the power suply switch on for a few seconds then off again, this emptys the capacitors of all power.
I did this but im not sure if its necessary, Then after 20 seconds or so put the battery back in the motherboard hook it all up again and turn the power supply switch back on and power up your machine, your bios settings will have to be sorted again like time date boot device you know the drill , But hey presto light gone off and problem solved :)
This solution was difficult to find so i thought I should share.

Donwey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Thank you for your help , i appreciate it but i have already bought another new graphic card GTX 570 . Hopefully this one will last longer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.