Power Supply is too HOT

KainSpice

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I've finally been driven to the point were I had to absolutely had to pinpoint the source of my system's insane heat, as everything it bothered me, I would check the CPU and GPU to make sure it's not them. Turns out, it's my Rocketfish 700w power supply. During normal usage, the heat it produces it negligible, nearly impossible to notice, but today, during a hefty gaming session, my legs could not take the oven-like environment under my desk. Upon touching the top of my case, I would have to say it feels like it's around 95-135F. The hot air from the back of the PSU was scorching hot. This shouldn't be happening right? Any ideas? I just recently dusted everything in my case, so it can't be clogged.

My system:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ Factory Clock
1x 4Gbs RIPJAW DDR3 1600 RAM
EVGA GTX560
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
not only this... but the Rent is To Damn High!... Rocketfish isn't a great PSU brand from my recollection... I would go with a more reputable brand... like Corsair, XFX, Silverstone, antec, etc etc

Well, 100-120F is not bad if you are putting a pretty good load on it, which really you shouldn't be unless you are running like 4 hard drives and SLI. How hot is the room temperature, and do you have any other fans exhausing air out of the case, or are you depending on the PSU to exhaust all the air, which you should not be doing. Do you have a good intake fan bottom front of the case as well?

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Rocketfish is a brand by Bestbuy and yes it's not a good brand. I certainly hope you didn't overpay for it as well. I think it reaches around 50°C [122°F] at its maximum 700w. You should change to a more reputable, efficient model. If you can't shop from online retailer, then find someone who can help you :p

Antec and XFX are usually the budget friendly ones. Corsair and Seasonic are the pricier ones :p

Yeah, Rocketfish is not the best quality, but the 700 watt unit is about the best one they offer. I think I remember seeing a review where they said it performs about like a $70 PSU should, only problem is it's like $150. It's not exactly a highly rated PSU, supplies plenty of power, but at higher power draws, it falls below what is recommended for reliable clean power output. But for your build, it should suffice. If you ever put a beefier GPU, or added much more hardware though, or just want something that runs cooler, I would change it.

PS, but of course any PSU is going to run hot if the case is not ventilated properly.

KainSpice

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Rent? And Yes, I know, but it is an old PSU that I got off Ebay, it had fit my needs at the time, and with the new purchase of the video card and monitor, I'm not in a good position to ask my dad for a new power supply as well.

It isn't I suppose, but It's no fun having the underside of your desk turn the temperature while you're focusing on gaming or a heavy work load. Other than what I listed, I only have a Western Digital 1Tb Caviar Black. I have my Ultra Chilltec Blowing out an opening on the back of my Ultra case ( I can't find the specific model ). The power supply is right above the cooler's exhaust, so maybe it's pulling that heat into itself? But no, other than the CPU fan, GPU fan, and PSU fan I have no other way of circulating heat in my system, and as I stated above, my dad would not want to spend money on any more new parts. He sees no purpose in the fans because he believes the component fans will do the trick and that I need to "man up".

I got it cheap off Ebay for about $30, back in early 2009. I'm not using more than 500w on full load, so I don't know if it should be so hot. I would change to a new model, but like I said above, it can't be done right now.

I've been told quite a lot. Haha. Your advice is noted for the upgrade, however. And very true that is, your last statement.

Thanks to you all for responding so fast, but is there anything I could do to reduce the heat outputted other than getting more fans or buying a whole new PSU?

to reduce heat....

choice 1. Leave your system on the "off" setting.

choice 2. Get a couple of case fans (around $10 a piece), at least 1 for exhaust and 1 for intake.

choice 3. continue using it like it is, knowing that if you keep it up you are probably to burn your PSU and possibly some other components out soon. Computer components are *extremely* temperature sensitive, and overheating them, although will not usually kill it instantly, will drastically shorten the lifespan of the system.

Hi there,

Post screenshot like that, it will tell a lot. Get it here @ http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

softwares-hwmonitor.jpg

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

option one made me lol....

option 2: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11677/fan-755/Thermalright_TR_TY-140_140mm_x_160mm_PWM_Fan_-_900R1300PM_Standard_120mm_Fan_Mount.html mow some lawns... give daddy the cash see if he will get you these... they will fit in most 120mm fan spots you have and push a good amount of air for cheap

a simple pair of 120's will do a lot if you currently have only the PSU fan. The overall heat output will be about the same, but it won't be overheating your psu at the same time. Which will increase its lifespan.