Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Antec Truepower 750 W still good?

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2011 8:01:35 PM

Im a first time computer builder. My friend is offering me an Antec Truepower new 750 watt psu for free. The only problem is, it was connected to a Asus P8Q67-M mobo that started to smoke. Amazingly, the power supply and the motherboard still start to bios. So now im wondering if the psu is damaged goods, even though it still works. I know nothing directly happened to it, but i was wondering if being connected to a mobo that smoked could damage the psu. Do you guys think it's fine? or should I just buy a new psu to be safe. I'm gonna be building a budget gaming rig, and dont want a psu to fail and kill my components.

Thanks.

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
December 6, 2011 9:00:01 PM

You should definitely thank your friend. Hopefully you also got all of the modular cables to go along with it.

The Antec TruePower New Series 750W (TP-750) is a great power supply unit.

It's made by Seasonic for Antec.

It has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and four PCI-E power connectors.

It should have over current (OCP), under voltage (UVP) and over voltage (OVP) protections.

Just because your friend's Asus P8Q67-M mobo started to smoke doesn't mean that the power supply unit is damaged. It only means that the motherboard is defective. Must have been a problem in the power VRM circuit for the CPU.
December 6, 2011 9:24:31 PM

So your saying there is no need to buy a new powersupply then?
Score
Related resources
a c 1167 ) Power supply
December 6, 2011 9:27:42 PM

I would use a digital multimeter to check out the voltages on all of the rails to ensure that they are operating within specs.
Score
December 6, 2011 9:35:55 PM

Alright thanks. Ill look up how to do that. If they are within spec, i would assume then i should have no trouble from the psu in the future?
Score
a c 1167 ) Power supply
December 6, 2011 9:56:41 PM

ragchan said:
Alright thanks. Ill look up how to do that. If they are within spec, i would assume then i should have no trouble from the psu in the future?

If the voltages are all good then that is a good indication that it hasn't been damaged.
Score
December 14, 2011 1:44:52 AM

Best answer selected by ragchan.
Score
!