Install questions on my new build

p413943

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
So I have only built one computer with the help of a friend before this, and I am fairly confident I can actually build the computer and get it running fine, however I have some questions regarding installing the drives and what not.

My specs are as follows:

Antec 300 Illusion Case
Antec 750 Watt PSU
i5 2500K
Xigmatek Gaia CPU Fan
MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) Board
G.Skill Ripjaw 8 gig (2 4gig) Ram, Cas 8

As far as everything else goes, my old build from 5 years ago, the mobo died and I was HOPING I could use my old computer parts intel I have more money to upgrade some other parts, so my questions are this (Sorry, there are a few questions).

The parts I was going to reuse were: The GeForce 8800GT, the 500gig HDD and the DVD Burner, and down the line I was planning on getting a SSD, adding another TB HDD or so, and getting a Blu Ray Drive.

So my main question is, if I dont have the install CD for windows, do I need to buy windows all over again and install it? AND, if I buy a SSD in a few months down the line, is it going to be a pain in the ass to move it from the hard drive to the new SSD?

Lastly, I havent looked into it at all, but is there any reason the dvd drive or more importantly the HDD and Graphics card wouldnt work with the new motherboard?

Thanks ahead of time for any help or advice you guys can give, Ive got just about everything and would LOVE to get my computer back up and running this weekend if possible.

Yes you need to buy a copy of Windows 7 64 bit oem .

If you just swap the hard drive in to the computer it wont have the correct motherboard drivers and wont work .

The OS cant be moved from one motherboard to another , but you can change any other hardware . Which means you will be fine to install on an SSD later and reactivate windows

If your dvd drive is a SATA model you should be fine . Older IDE units are not compatible because the motherboards no longer have IDE connectors

The graphics card will work fine

p413943

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Awesome, thanks for the info, so how exactly do I get my old Hard Drive onto this new build without Effing it up and losing all my data? Is there a way?

Sorry, kind of noob status in this respect, and I havent touched my hdd or backed it up since my old mobo died so I dont wanna screw it up and lose all of that data.

p413943

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

So I know this sounds really stupid, but if I dont have any other Hard Drive, so how would I back up all my info before installing Windows? I can't really install windows on that hard drive and not lose my data can I?

or burn dvd's

I can promise you that if you buy an external hard drive and use that, you will live to think it was the most brilliant thing you ever bought