Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about 6950 upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2011 11:55:56 AM

Hello everyone.

So I plan (or at least planned) on upgrading my graphics cards within the next 1 - 3 weeks here. Now, originally I was going to purchase two 6950s and unlock them but before I was able to drop money on them, I read a review on a VisionTek that said that it was 'not the pictured model' and that it 'had the bios switch removed'. I did some more reading into it and saw a video that mentioned that you can flash 'reference model cards, aka first runs'. Since the 6950 came out a pretty good while back, I think it's safe to say that you can't buy unlockable models anymore. Can anyone prove me wrong or am I right in that assumption?

More about : question 6950 upgrade

a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2011 1:59:32 PM

Anything's possible, depending on where you live and/or where you get cards from(how long they've been on shelf) and card choice, you might get lucky. As is the 6950s are very good cards and can overclock to same performance as unlocked ones. Edit; without the headache.
m
l
July 7, 2011 1:18:29 AM

I live in Ukraine but I'm in the US (CA) right now on business and visiting family and will be here for a few more weeks and decided to do my computer shopping while I'm here. I was thinking about purchasing the cards online as I couldn't really find 6950s (or two of them) in the stores I went to.

Not feeling so great about it anymore if 'anything is possible' and/or 'I might get lucky', though I still might pick them up anyway as I'm pretty sure they're really good cards in and of themselves.

EDIT: So can anyone tell me if there is definitely no place to get reference 6950s anymore? (minus 'getting lucky with old stock at a store')
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 7, 2011 2:39:23 AM

You might wanna take a look at this. You can still flash certain 6950s, it just depends on the one you get. =)

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?s=...
July 7, 2011 2:45:58 AM

Why not just ask the sales guy whether or not they're an old or new batch of 6950s? It's worth a shot :D 
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
July 7, 2011 2:49:14 AM

That was weird seeing my post quoted to another forum. Anyways, this did work for both my MSI Twin Frozr II and XFX reference model. The only issue is that some manufacturers are taking steps to stop flashing of any kind, and there also may be some lasered chips now.

I wouldn't count on it working, but there are still people being successful, as the poll showed.
m
l
July 7, 2011 3:25:49 AM

Best answer selected by hakuizm.
m
l
July 7, 2011 3:26:18 AM

Alright, thanks. I'll get the 2GB MSI 6950s. If they don't work, then I'll be happy with the 6950s themselves. Thanks Okuu!
m
l
!