Do I have a dead motherboard? No beep, no BIOS screen. Do I have a dea

deecee

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I'm trying to add to an existing thread but can't find how to do it so this new? thread has same title
I've got the same problem as most on this thread. No POST, Blank screen etc. Fujtsu PC with D1740 mobo celeron D 2.98Ghz CPU.
original mobo - definately dead - visible damage. PSU blew at same time and CPU is suspect. I obtained replacement mobo and cpu. Lights come up but no boot with either cpu, swapped PSU, same result. Then found this thread. I need some advice on collecting voltage readings before I start poking a live mobo with probes. Both PSUs I've tried also power the PC I'm writing this on but I accept they could still be 'flaky'. To take the readings, where do I connect the earth probe? Anywhere on the case? or one of the black wires from PSU or mobo? and on that point could the problem be caused by a bad earth connection? That would explain getting the same results from 2 'working' PSUs.
As to readings taken at switch on. How long do I have or do I need to restart for each reading? Hope Westom is still reading this thread.