New ASRock z77 Extreme4 - PCI-E Video Card(s) = Not detecting.

bdrope

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hey guys,

So I just recently purchased the following parts:

Intel i5 3570k
ASRock z77 Extreme4
nVidia GeForce 570
G.Skill Ripjaws (8GB)

Got everything pieced together last night, had a couple of mis-boots, where we thought everything was connected, but after cross-checking cable connections, it finally booted, but it didn't detect the 570, it only displayed on the onboard video.

I didn't think much of it, just continued the Windows installation, and installed all the drivers off the mobo's driver disc. After all of that was done, I began looking as to why my video card wasn't picking up video when I switched the monitor connection.

Did some troubleshooting, and it sounds like I'm not alone in this, even found a few threads on this forum from a couple months back, unfortunately -- all the resolutions didn't prove to resolve my issue.

I disabled the iGPU (I believe) from BIOS, and also set that the default video should be "PCI Express", according to the drop-down.
I'm also emailing ASRock through their customer support feature on their website, but I thought I would pick you guys's brain first.

Further information that just came to mind:
I have tried both PCI Express slots, and also 2 different PCI-E cards. My old card: nVidia GeForce 260 and also on both slots, also within the BIOS there is a "Hardware Browser" feature on the main page, and when you click it, you get a fairly interactive screenshot of your motherboard, and using your mouse to hover over the individual parts, gives a bit of detail about whats connected. Hovering over the processor, it identifies it as the exact processor I am using, same with the RAM. When I hover it over the PCI-E slot it says "Empty".

Was doing some further reading online and there may be some sort've fail safe to this motherboard where it shuts out secondary slots.. I don't know, lol.

Btw, BIOS Version: 1.8

I believe they have an updated version to 2.0, but I've never updated BIOS before.
Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Further information:
The fan appears to be spinning on both cards, so there is substantial power going to the card.

JJ1217

Honorable
Might be your motherboard. I really can't tell, but see if you have an adequate power supply, or if its inserted into the slot correctly. I have a z77 extreme 4 and it works perfectly, even if its a slightly cheap motherboard (Non Standard ATX screws and thinner board makes it prone to flopping :( )

sratcliffe

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You need to install the drivers for the GPU Card, sometimes the mobo will not recognise the GPU without the drivers in the OS being loaded (and you need to boot them when installed)... worked for me.... not on the same mobo though..

tech_twist

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
i have the same problem before. what i did was, i clicked on the clear CMOS at the back then it just started to detect my VC which was a 7850. BTW my default bios from my mobo was 2.0 when i bought it and updated it to 2.2 now without any problems.

dan1230

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Pressing the clear cmos button worked for me as well. I'm glad I saw this or I would have been trying to return my mono.