GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 memory question

joaquingt

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hi guys, im actually thinking to buy this motherboard GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

and im wondering if i can put a Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2x4 GB) 2133MHz CL11 DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B)

the reason why im asking is because in newegg website the same memory CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B has this message "Fast Corsair Vengeance 1.5V memory for Z77 " and the motherboard its a z68, so i was wondering if i can use the memory with that motherboard or should i buy CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
or what will you recomend for that motherboard ??

thank you very much

Solution
D
Either should work fine. However the memory controller is on the CPU with both Intel and AMD CPUs now and as such there is very little to gain from going over DDR3 1600 speed. The onboard memory controllers just don't need the higher speed stuff. In the real wold you will see only about a 1% gain. So I would go with the cheaper stuff.

The few cases you will benefit from higher speed memory is when using integrated graphics and when using photo/video editing software for hours on end or professionally where the small gains will add up to increased productivity.

In gaming there will be no difference at all.

If you plan on adding an aftermarket cooler make sure you get the low profile version of that RAM so RAM slots are not blocked...
Either set of memory modules will work.

You will have to change the motherboard's EFI BIOS memory setting to use XMP profiles to get the memory's rated overclocked speed otherwise you'll be running at the Intel default 1333 MHz memory speed.

D

Deleted member 217926

Either should work fine. However the memory controller is on the CPU with both Intel and AMD CPUs now and as such there is very little to gain from going over DDR3 1600 speed. The onboard memory controllers just don't need the higher speed stuff. In the real wold you will see only about a 1% gain. So I would go with the cheaper stuff.

The few cases you will benefit from higher speed memory is when using integrated graphics and when using photo/video editing software for hours on end or professionally where the small gains will add up to increased productivity.

In gaming there will be no difference at all.

If you plan on adding an aftermarket cooler make sure you get the low profile version of that RAM so RAM slots are not blocked. Those high heat spreaders get in the way.

Like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Any GSkill Ripjaws will also fit under a large air cooler and is just as good as Corsair and often a little cheaper.

Solution

joaquingt

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

thank you very much, thats exactly the explanation that i was looking, im going for the cheaper ones.

im thinking to put an core i5 or an i7 depending of the money, and yeah very good observation about the memory and the cooler, i really dont know if i need a non standar cooler, what would you recommend ??

thx

D

Deleted member 217926

Glad to help.

The best "bang for your buck" cooler is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo at around $30. The best high end air coolers would be the Noctua DH14 and the Phanteks tc14 for around $75 and then for $100+ the Corsair H100 self contained liquid cooler just beating out the best air coolers.

For overclocking you will need aftermarket cooling. The Hyper 212 Evo will get Sandy Bridge to ~4.5Ghz and the slightly hotter running Ivy Bridge chips to 4.2-4.4Ghz. The more expensive coolers are good for a few hundred megahertz more generally so unless you really plan on extreme overclocking the Hyper 212 Evo is about the best choice.