Problems, anyone got any advice?

eoj17

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Lately I've been having horrible problems with my wireless network. I can't keep a solid connection for more than a few minutes. While trying to play games that require a constant connection like World of Warcraft, or even while chatting on AIM, my connection will drop just for an instant, but long enough to disconnect it. I've tried changing channels, resetting the router, moving my wireless adapter. It's all a bunch of linksys hardware. Any ideas? Post any questions you have, or email me at Joem83@gmail.com

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
I'd flash the firmware. I'd probably also load netstumbler on one of your client machines and see what's in and around your WLAN airspace. If you have multiple AP's on multiple channels around you there not be anything you can do beyond overpowering them with an amp of some kind, higher gain antenna, or just redirection of the signal. I might also see if you can find another Router/AP, from a friend perhaps, to see if that solves the problem. Start eliminating the possibilities. Troubleshooting 101.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Along with the other troubleshooting tips stated above, it seems from your statement that at one time you had acceptable service. My questions would be:
1 - what if anything has changed with your wireless devices?
2 - what if anything has changed with electronics in close proximity to the wireless router or client adapter?
3 - what model Linksi are being used - router and adapter? This will indicate the and likelihood of failure.

In my experience flashing the router will sometimes help but usually only to add new features (like PPPoE or IPSec or something. If you have been getting good connectivity and nothing has changed in your setup or position of devices or added obstructions placed in the way, then device malfunction may be indicated.

If you are only 10-15 feet away and you have always had the two walls in the way and gotten good service in the past then the HW is suspect and I doubt a flash will help. But its free and you never can tell.