PC keeps shutting down

mammu84

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hello, I put my PC together a couple of years ago and starting a few months ago, the PC started shutting down unexpectedly. In the beginning it was once a day but not it won't stay up for more than 2-3 minutes. I have a Maximus Formula 2 motherboard. I tried installing PC Probe but the machine doesn't stay up long enough for me to run it. I was able to check the bios that the CPU temp is safely 85 degrees. I also tried swapping out the memory to see if that was the cause but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can start diagnosing the problem.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Is that 85C on startup? I would try to reinstall whatever cooler is on the CPU right now with new thermal paste and see if that helps. It could be shutting down to protect the CPU from overheating.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

85 degrees is not safe at all (if you mean Celcius that is), that is very high and if that is in BIOS then once Windows starts up the built in thermal protection will usually shut the PC down to protect the CPU. I would do what Enigma said and reinstall the CPU cooler and see if that helps.

mammu84

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hi, Sorry for the late response to this. I checked quite a few sites (including a link from this site) and it seems anything under 49C (approx 120F) should be fine. I will give your suggestion and try and pray that it works. One other thing I see, is that the voltage reading is red. Anyone know what that reading should be?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

What is the voltage and what voltage is it indicating (what is name next to the red number)? Voltage being higher than it should be would raise the CPU temp and could be the problem.