GPU Required for Max settings BF3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanatic112

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
G'day -

Just curious about what kind of card I will need to run battlefield 3, crysis 2 etc @ max settings. My monitor is 24inch 20,000:1 HD (unsure of normal resolution?).

Will be an i7 2600k w/ 8gb RAM.

I have been thinking about a 6990, but I'm starting to get the feeing that it's complete overkill. So I was considering somethin cheaper for now, then get the dual GPU 7 series AMD when it gets released many moons from now.

fanatic112

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Not to be rude, but not really lol.

Was aready considering the 6990, as I said.

But apparently I won't notice a difference between that and say a 6970 with a 24 inch monitor.

Regardless, i have the money for whatever I want. I'm just not a wasteful person.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
forget all the above posts.Even a gtx 560 ti should be able to max out the game
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1164&game=Battlefield%203

As you may know E3 allowed us journos an early look at the latest BF3 trailers which focused on tank gameplay footage. Naturally we were excited and headed straight over to the EA booth to see what else we could learn. For example, we have heard mention of the suppressive fire effect. Where you get points for suppressing the enemy. Suppressed enemies will get a blurred screen and maybe other debuffs.

But more importantly I would like to highlight the chat we had with an EA spokesperson at E3 about the predicted BF3 system requirements.

Needless to say we had to push hard for any information and were faced with answers like 'Battefield 3 is still being optimized' and 'Its too early to say what the BF3 system requirements are going to be'

Unperturbed we tried a different approach. We asked, would we be able to run the game on a machine that could run Battlefield Bad Company 2

We were told

'I cant say for certain, but I would think so. Although the Frostbite 2 engine (Frostbite 2 is the new BF3 game engine) is capable of far more than its predecessor (Frostbite 1.5 is the engine used on Bad Company 2) we are pretty confident that it will still only need the same sort of hardware to get it to run. Maybe we will see a small drop in frame rate due to the extra power used by BF3 with the FB2 engine but hopefully nothing to worry about.'

So from this snippet of gold we are going to put together our predicted Battlefield 3 system requirements

Battlefield 3 Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2Ghz or Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+

RAM: 2 GB

GFX: GeForce GT 240 or Radeon HD 5570

DX: 10

HDD: 15 GB

Battlefield 3 Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8300 2.83Ghz or Phenom II X2 555

RAM: 4 GB

GFX: GeForce GTS 250 or Radeon HD 4830

GFX RAM: 512MB

DX: 11

Battlefield 3 Ultra System Requirements

CPU: Core i5-760 Quad 2.8GHz or Phenom II X4 965

RAM: 4 GB

GFX: GeForce GTX 460 or Radeon HD 5850

GFX RAM: 1GB

I've seen that in someones else's post.Must be from another site.

I'd say you would be safe getting a 6970.That should be plenty paired with an 2600k to max out B3.

I thought I might tell you that you can save some money getting the 2500k.Their is no difference at all when it comes to gaming between the 2500k and the 2600k.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

What that tells me is that it will be more graphic intensive.But that doesn't mean you need a 6990 or GTX590 to run it.I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a 6850 crossfire or a sinle 6970 to play everything on max settings and be above 60FPS.Basicly the same as BFBC2.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

well,thats where our opinions differ.In BFBC2 I get 50-60 fps but even if I get 30+ fps in bf3 with crysis quality I am satisfied :D

just wait for the game to come out and we will know for sure what the game needs to be maxed out. no need to rush to buy new gpu and expecting how your new gpu going to handle it. its great when you can meet your expectation but it totally disappointing when your selected hardware does not able to perform like you would expect it to be. if that's happen you might want to get something better and it will be a waste of money.

so just be patient and just use whatever you have right now. if you still building and selecting parts for your rig just get something as a place holder or use your old card (if you still have it) before the game comes out. just my 2 cents :D

You forget that BF3 has to be made into a console port at the same time.That could mean they would have to reduce the intesitiy of the graphics even for the PC.I realize BF3 is a "HUGE game' and expectations are high but I don't think it will come close to how demanding Crysis was.Just look what happend to Crysis 2.

hey amd655,

I was just looking at your specs,have you tryed running your 6990 in the Intel rig instead?I bet you'd see a huge improvement in FPS.I'm thinking the 6990 is being bottlenecked by the 955 even tho it's at 4ghz.

Back to BF3...I'm just uneasy with BF3 being a console port.I have never seen a game thats a console port be demanding or coded properly,i've seen so many good games that have been poor when they were brought to the PC.But luckily since BF3 is such a "HUGE" game I don't think EA can afford to mess up with the coding on the PC side since thats probably where most of their money is gonna be.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

Good point but I think if it is a bad console port they will definately patch it later with DX11 just like Crysis 2. If that happens you're gonna need a GTX580 or 6970 to even think about 50 -60 fps. I'm running a 5970 and am hoping it will cope well with this title as i don't want to upgrade for at least 12 - 18 months.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Ok, here's a new solution.

Instead of buying a $750+ graphics card...
... get a PS3 or XBOX360 instead! Only about $300, tops.

And if you're an avid gamer, you probably have one (or both) of these consoles anyway.
So, just buy the game when it comes out.

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

I have watched crysis 2 even with dx 11 enabled and crysis 1 even in dx 9 still blows it away having higher performance,in fact.Until the next gen consoles come I doubt dx 11 will be used properly.IMO I feel that since all devs want to make console ports they should work on getting the most out of dx 9 rather than implement a broken dx 11.Even witcher 2 in dx9 looks better than dx 11 crysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.