Your question

AMD Thuban question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Dell
Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2011 5:58:46 AM

I got this pre-built dell that comes with an AMD II x6 @ 2.6 GHz. Seeing as it's a Dell I don't think I will be overclocking it, but I wanted to know if this will perform well enough at stock settings. I was told it won't bottleneck for a long time if I were to pair it with a 560 ti which I had planned on doing. I would prefer to play games at 1920x1080 on medium settings at least. If it works through 2012 that would be great and through 2013 even better.

More about : amd thuban question

a b à CPUs
December 7, 2011 7:00:16 AM

I have the 1055T @ 2.8, i ran almost all my games @ stock speeds without any problems, maxing it out @ 1080P.

And as long as the CPU is handling the game, you won't have a bottleneck, most games are GPU intensive not CPU.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 7, 2011 4:37:16 PM

Make sure to get another 560ti for sli late :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2011 7:45:35 PM

It should be adequate, but you'd definitely benefit from the increased speed if you were to get it to 3.6Ghz. But that would require a new mobo and cpu cooler. Since you're lacking on the CPU horsepower, you might consider stepping up to something like a GTX570 or HD6970 to compensate.
m
l
December 7, 2011 7:49:23 PM

dannoddd said:
It should be adequate, but you'd definitely benefit from the increased speed if you were to get it to 3.6Ghz. But that would require a new mobo and cpu cooler. Since you're lacking on the CPU horsepower, you might consider stepping up to something like a GTX570 or HD6970 to compensate.

I would not say lacking in horsepower. I have 1055t and it renders play games all pretty well, if you want to get a few more frames then try get it to 3.2 small overclock but they normally are pretty good. No need to much your CPU to the edge.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2011 8:13:01 PM

Lacking might be a strong word. Clock for Clock AMD is behind Intel. As you increase the Ghz they start to catch up. I've got a 1090t at 4Ghz, that I love! But in comparison to even a 3.2Ghz PII, it's behind, and compare that to a 3.2Ghz core i and it's behind. That's all. So with overclocking not being an option (Dell) and not wanting to spend on a faster cpu, I would toss down a bit more cash on the graphics card, to provide the extra guts for the smooth gaming experience.
m
l
December 7, 2011 8:54:12 PM

It will handle any game you throw at it just fine
m
l
December 7, 2011 11:06:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, it looks like some people think I should get a better card or get two 560 ti's to compensate for the CPU, others think it will run everything just fun. I'm considering it all and I'm still open for suggestions.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2011 3:31:45 PM

I would lean away from mutli card setups. They work, and they work great. I used 3650/4870/4890 crossfire before I got my 6870 and 6950, and I really prefer the single cards. They are just so much easier. If you have a problem it makes troubleshooting way easier.

The other thing, is if you ever have a situation where SLI doesn't work, like a new game or bad driver, you don't loose half of your performance.
m
l
December 8, 2011 7:19:17 PM

dannoddd said:
I would lean away from mutli card setups. They work, and they work great. I used 3650/4870/4890 crossfire before I got my 6870 and 6950, and I really prefer the single cards. They are just so much easier. If you have a problem it makes troubleshooting way easier.

The other thing, is if you ever have a situation where SLI doesn't work, like a new game or bad driver, you don't loose half of your performance.

This is correct, but having bragging rights are pretty KEWL!
m
l
December 8, 2011 7:48:52 PM

i think it will bottleneck a GTX 560 Ti quite a bit, 2.6ghz is very slow especially when we are talking AMD, AMD thuban IPC per core is about as good as the intel core 2 line and in most cases you will only be using 2-4 cores.

if you could OC it you would be fine but as you said you have a Dell that cant be OCed so im afraid you will be bottlenecked quite a bit in many cases if you pair it up with a good GPU like the 560 Ti.

i have a 1055t @ 3.8ghz and a 6950@6970 and even my CPU will bottleneck this card a tiny bit in some situations. for example when i OCed this 1055t from 3.8 to 3.9 my 3Dmark11 GPU score jumped from about 4600 to 5500 in Performance mode. also my Unigine heaven score jumped a few percents from that OC. it just depends on the game/benchmark, some of them might run fine and some might not because of the low clock.

just my 2 cents

m
l
December 9, 2011 4:16:02 AM

I love all the answers but they're so mixed I still have no idea what to do.

Might just end up waiting until I can upgrade the CPU as well.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 9, 2011 4:21:08 AM

qakers said:
I love all the answers but they're so mixed I still have no idea what to do.

Might just end up waiting until I can upgrade the CPU as well.

I think you can overclock it with amd overdrive, but im not sure because I have never owned an amd system.
m
l
!