AMD Thuban question

I got this pre-built dell that comes with an AMD II x6 @ 2.6 GHz. Seeing as it's a Dell I don't think I will be overclocking it, but I wanted to know if this will perform well enough at stock settings. I was told it won't bottleneck for a long time if I were to pair it with a 560 ti which I had planned on doing. I would prefer to play games at 1920x1080 on medium settings at least. If it works through 2012 that would be great and through 2013 even better.
12 answers Last reply
More about thuban question
  1. I have the 1055T @ 2.8, i ran almost all my games @ stock speeds without any problems, maxing it out @ 1080P.

And as long as the CPU is handling the game, you won't have a bottleneck, most games are GPU intensive not CPU.
  2. Make sure to get another 560ti for sli late :)
  3. It should be adequate, but you'd definitely benefit from the increased speed if you were to get it to 3.6Ghz. But that would require a new mobo and cpu cooler. Since you're lacking on the CPU horsepower, you might consider stepping up to something like a GTX570 or HD6970 to compensate.
  4. dannoddd said:
    It should be adequate, but you'd definitely benefit from the increased speed if you were to get it to 3.6Ghz. But that would require a new mobo and cpu cooler. Since you're lacking on the CPU horsepower, you might consider stepping up to something like a GTX570 or HD6970 to compensate.

I would not say lacking in horsepower. I have 1055t and it renders play games all pretty well, if you want to get a few more frames then try get it to 3.2 small overclock but they normally are pretty good. No need to much your CPU to the edge.
  5. Lacking might be a strong word. Clock for Clock AMD is behind Intel. As you increase the Ghz they start to catch up. I've got a 1090t at 4Ghz, that I love! But in comparison to even a 3.2Ghz PII, it's behind, and compare that to a 3.2Ghz core i and it's behind. That's all. So with overclocking not being an option (Dell) and not wanting to spend on a faster cpu, I would toss down a bit more cash on the graphics card, to provide the extra guts for the smooth gaming experience.
  6. It will handle any game you throw at it just fine
  7. Thanks for the replies, it looks like some people think I should get a better card or get two 560 ti's to compensate for the CPU, others think it will run everything just fun. I'm considering it all and I'm still open for suggestions.
  8. I would lean away from mutli card setups. They work, and they work great. I used 3650/4870/4890 crossfire before I got my 6870 and 6950, and I really prefer the single cards. They are just so much easier. If you have a problem it makes troubleshooting way easier.

The other thing, is if you ever have a situation where SLI doesn't work, like a new game or bad driver, you don't loose half of your performance.
  9. dannoddd said:
    I would lean away from mutli card setups. They work, and they work great. I used 3650/4870/4890 crossfire before I got my 6870 and 6950, and I really prefer the single cards. They are just so much easier. If you have a problem it makes troubleshooting way easier.

The other thing, is if you ever have a situation where SLI doesn't work, like a new game or bad driver, you don't loose half of your performance.

This is correct, but having bragging rights are pretty KEWL!
  10. i think it will bottleneck a GTX 560 Ti quite a bit, 2.6ghz is very slow especially when we are talking AMD, AMD thuban IPC per core is about as good as the intel core 2 line and in most cases you will only be using 2-4 cores.

if you could OC it you would be fine but as you said you have a Dell that cant be OCed so im afraid you will be bottlenecked quite a bit in many cases if you pair it up with a good GPU like the 560 Ti.

i have a 1055t @ 3.8ghz and a 6950@6970 and even my CPU will bottleneck this card a tiny bit in some situations. for example when i OCed this 1055t from 3.8 to 3.9 my 3Dmark11 GPU score jumped from about 4600 to 5500 in Performance mode. also my Unigine heaven score jumped a few percents from that OC. it just depends on the game/benchmark, some of them might run fine and some might not because of the low clock.

just my 2 cents
  11. I love all the answers but they're so mixed I still have no idea what to do.

Might just end up waiting until I can upgrade the CPU as well.
  12. qakers said:
    I love all the answers but they're so mixed I still have no idea what to do.

Might just end up waiting until I can upgrade the CPU as well.

I think you can overclock it with amd overdrive, but im not sure because I have never owned an amd system.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Dell