Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please check my friend's mobo out, its damaged right?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 14, 2012 11:11:25 PM

My friend bought a new gaming computer, and he told me last night he heard scrunching as he locked the CPU in place. I knew right away that he had damaged the mobo pins in the CPU socket. I wasn't willing to open the CPU up to check if he had applied his thermal compound correcly(which he did apply correctly). I figured, why not check out if he actually did damage it? So i opened up the CPU portion of his computer, and I came to find out I think he damaged it. So, now it's your turn to final check it and approve of my conclusion. Links are under here, thanks guys!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65651590@N04/7986825692/si...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65651590@N04/7986815431/si...
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 11:16:30 PM

No, it's fine. That "screeching" or "crunching" sound is totally normal and expected for LGA 1155 motherboards. It's scary, but does no harm at all.

In fact, taking the CPU out to check is probably worse than anything that could have happened the first time because now, since it's not damaged, you have to reinstall the CPU, giving him more of a chance to screw something up the second time around.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 11:27:56 PM

Man I hate that noise that socket makes, always makes me flinch a bit
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2012 12:14:18 AM

I'm just making sure... Did you guys look at the corners of the socket? The pins are bent and abnormal compared to the rest of them. Look real careful around the corners, because theres 2 corners that are damaged. One of them is obvious if you focus real good at it.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 283 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 12:20:15 AM

I see what you're talking about, but one, you should have just left well enough alone in the first place, and two, they're not that bad.

If you want, you can try to make them absolutely perfect again, but that's not easy to do.

Regardless, you don't really have any choice but to deal with it at this point, since you can't RMA a board with "bent" pins.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:29:20 AM

I did not cause this to occur. If anything its a good thing I brought the problem to light. My friend knows that he must have done it last night when he tried assembling it together. I see no negative impact on how I didn't leave it alone, but instead I made the error known unto him.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:33:09 AM

I am very skilled with computer hardware (not to brag). I am well aware of how to properly assemble and disassemble a CPU in a machine.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 283 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 4:35:18 AM

No, you're right, you definitely didn't cause it. That's not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that you/he probably never would have known about it, otherwise (not enough damage to be an issue).

If he lined up the notches on the CPU correctly, it's nigh on impossible to do any real damage.
m
l

Best solution

a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 283 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 4:41:49 AM

If the mechanism was completely screwed, I could see problems there, but I'm guessing it's not, since 99.9% of the pins are ok.

What I said in my first reply still stands, though. That horrible, scary sound is unfortunately completely normal (and it usually takes a ton of force to lock down). Everyone that has built a newer Intel system can tell you that. Scary as hell, but it's true.
September 15, 2012 5:01:54 AM

Oh, I see what you are saying now. Yeah I'm pretty sure he did have the notches correctly lined up. I don't know what he is going to do now. His father may have fixed it with a needle. I don't know lol... Thanks for the help though mate!
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 283 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 5:05:51 AM

You're welcome and I hope everything goes well. :) 
m
l
September 15, 2012 7:15:15 AM

hyrule571 said:
My friend bought a new gaming computer, and he told me last night he heard scrunching as he locked the CPU in place. I knew right away that he had damaged the mobo pins in the CPU socket. I wasn't willing to open the CPU up to check if he had applied his thermal compound correcly(which he did apply correctly). I figured, why not check out if he actually did damage it? So i opened up the CPU portion of his computer, and I came to find out I think he damaged it. So, now it's your turn to final check it and approve of my conclusion. Links are under here, thanks guys!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65651590@N04/7986825692/si...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65651590@N04/7986815431/si...

very dumb advice. take that board to the service center and tell them its not booting up, every other component is working fine.They will check it for if there is any forceful tampering then register's a complaint then they check that board is it working or not. if you/your friend didn't screwed up any thing. then they will tell you its good we fixed everything and take your board.

:sol:  :sol:  :sol: 
m
l
September 25, 2012 2:08:02 AM

Best answer selected by hyrule571.
m
l
!